A Wish Right Now

Marshall POV

The following week flew by with meetings, rehearsals, revisions. Lilly was enjoying herself and learning so much every day.  I'm sure it was nice for her to have something to focus on besides her trauma.

I was sitting in Emilio's office going over lighting schemes for the show and bullshitting about music and life when Emilio commented on my new kicks, "Nice Off Whites. Them shits is hot."

"Lilly hooked me up with em

"Lilly hooked me up with em. I gave her a pair of the Off-White women exclusives the other day and she gave me these."

"You two seem to have hit it off." 

I made my feelings for Lilly known, "She's a dope ass chick. She's fine, not fan-girly..."

"Don't fuck with this girl!" Emilio interrupted sternly. "She's been through enough."

"I understand that. We're taking it at her pace. I know she needs time."

Emilio closed the door, "Lilly called me that night right after she called 911.   I went straight there." He took a breath. 

"I'm from the hood, I've seen a million fights, I saw motherfuckers beat on my mom all the time," Emilio paused and shook his head, "but I ain't never seen nuthin' quite like that before.   Lilly called me, hysterical, telling me she was at Paramount and that Damian just raped her.   Her face was completely bruised and bloody, you could barely tell it was her.  She couldn't walk right.  She took a week off from work to recuperate and when she came back, she would sit in her office all day and cry.  She never came out to crack jokes and bugout like we always used to do." Emilio looked me in the eye, "I'm not tryin to tell you all her business, but I see you two getting close and I'm not sure if you understand how damaged Lilly is."

"That's fuckin brutal. Sick motherfucker." I snarled.

"Lilly's a bad bitch don't get me wrong. Just don't hurt her." Emilio leaned against the wall. "Honestly, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night all fucked up over seeing her like that. I can only imagine what goes on in her head."

"I've seen her panicky a couple times." I told him. "I just give her space and let her know I'm here if she needs me. I'm not using her cuz she's vulnerable, that's my word dawg." 

I stood and we dapped up before I left the room. "Good looking out for your homegirl."

Marshall left and Emilio took a deep breath before he sat down at his desk stricken with guilt because...in the past, Lilly had been a bit more than just his homegirl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lilly POV

I had a rough day. Some days I felt paranoid as if someone were watching me. On my morning runs I was constantly glancing behind to see if someone was following me.

I asked Crystal if I could leave an hour early to go to trauma therapy and I didn't even have  a chance to say goodbye to Marshall. I shed a few tears in the car.  In therapy, I told my counselor how I was transitioning to the next level of grief. Before I was sad and empty, but it had turned into a rage inside me that this person overpowered me and took my body. I confessed to having flashbacks that felt like I was back there, in that night. I could still feel it happening, in detail.

When I left counseling, I felt hopeless. I did not feel that therapy was helping, it had been 6 weeks since the incident and I did not feel any better.

Marshall and I had exchanged a few cute texts but not spoken in person that day. I felt as though I was not a good candidate to be someone's girlfriend right now. I could not even be a good friend. I felt defeated. If only I had met Marshall at a different time in my life. A time when I used to be confident and fun.

I arrived home and fixed myself a tiny salad. I never had an appetite. I talked with my children on facetime for a bit, then I sent Marshall a text.

L: Sorry I was distant today. I'm having a tough day and just need some alone time.

M: Don't worry bout it sweetheart. Take all the time you need. I'm still here.

That made me feel a bit better. I cuddled up on the couch, watched my show, and penciled in my meditation art for a while. It was a nice night out, "I'm gonna go sit in the hot tub." I said to myself.

I lit candles on my balcony and set the music on my phone to shuffle. It was a starry night and the hot bubbles all over my naked body felt good. Even in the graceful ambiance, I hung my head to cry with frustration. I then threw my head back wide eyed and screamed into the night "Why?!" and continued to bawl.

I leaned my head back again, exhausted and mesmerized by the majestic night sky. I wished I felt beautiful again. I wished that I was not anxious every moment of every day. I wished for strength to face this motherfucker in court. A single star shot across the sky right in front of my eyes. I took it as a sign that she would be alright...someday.

A few hours later...

I was grabbed by 2 big, disgusting hands and shoved onto the desk. His sloppy mouth trailed slimy saliva over my mouth and down to my breasts. I felt the blows of his assault and the agony of my sore body.

I rose from bed terror stricken and trembling. I grabbed my phone. 3:01 AM I tried calling Marshall and it rang four times then went to voicemail. I hung up. I thought to myself, "why would he answer in the middle of the night for some psychotic bitch he's known for 2 weeks? I'm so stupid!"

My phone rang and it was him! 

"Marshall?" I squeaked.

"What's wrong baby?" 

"I'm sorry" I said sobbing "I had a nightmare. I feel like I'm losing my fucking mind!"

"Lilly, take some deep breaths." Marshall soothed me. "Do you have your lavender lotion next to your bed? I want you to rub some on your neck and back. Do you have your panda figurine?"

"It's downstairs and I'm too scared to leave my bedroom." 

"Lie down" Marshall said in a gentle voice. "You got a restraining order on Damian babe; he can't hurt you anymore.  Don't give him so much power. He already violated your body, don't allow him to invade your mind." Marshal continued as I tried to calm down. "I know how tough you are. Remember the first day I met chu? I told you then you weren't basic."

I smiled into the phone, "I believe you said, you couldn't be basic if you tried." I snuggled in bed suddenly feeling all warm and comfy.

Marshall continued to comfort me, "Tomorrow is Friday and for work I want you to wear your comfiest sweat suit and sneakers. After work, I'm gonna have a surprise for you. Then, you'll go home, and I'll take care of dinner and we'll watch a comedy and cuddle. You don't have to worry about anything."

My eyes were heavy. I skipped my run the next morning and was able to get 3 more hours of sleep!