More Surprises

Lilly POV

On the plane ride home, I journaled about all the beautiful moments Marshall and I shared over the past two months. I wrote about the cute way he slipped me the note on the day we met,  I recounted all the fun we had together on the night of the party, our amazing trip to Italy, the special night on the beach, and fun times we had while on tour. It helped me to focus on everything I was thankful for.

I arrived back home, changed into comfy clothes and cuddled up on my couch. I facetimed with my kids for a bit and let them know I was back in LA and then text Marshall to let him know I was home safe. I watched some TV before going to bed peacefully that night.

I awoke early the next day, went for a run on the beach, and then came home to relax in the hot tub. When my phone rang, I expected it to be Marshall, but instead it was Shiq. She told me to be ready tomorrow because she wanted to take me for a spa day before my stressful day in court. Later in the afternoon, I had a therapy appointment to mentally prepare for my taxing week.

I told my therapist that I still held feelings of shame and guilt for putting myself in that position with Damian. I also told her about the new healthy relationship I'm in, but at times I still feel dirty or that I'm damaged goods. My therapist said that this is all natural and common with rape victims. I acknowledge that I sometimes blame myself for what happened, but I understand that that is not the reality of it. I must move on from being a victim and become a survivor. I must re-learn trust for others, as well as myself. I am ashamed that I ever trusted Damian.

My therapist advised me to anticipate and prepare for triggers. She reassured me that I was doing the right things with my self-care routines of running, meditation, and being with friends. I promised that I was not indulging in drugs or alcohol. We also discussed the upcoming court proceedings and she advised me to keep my eyes on the person asking me questions, be truthful, take pauses, and drink water.

When I came out of therapy that day, I felt like I was baptized. We talked about the incident from every angle and got a lot of things ironed out. I am strong, I know who I am, I can do this!

Marshall called soon after I returned home, and I told him how wonderful I was feeling after therapy.

"That's great baby." He told me.

"Being with you has made me feel empowered, I've always been able to trust you."

"We're just gonna keep making good memories together Lilly." Marshall said lightly. "Which reminds me, pack a bag. After court, we're going on a celebration trip."

"Where to?" I asked excitedly.

"Think beach."

~~~~~~~~

The next morning, Shiq came over to my place early and brought a bag of Mickey D's. "Thanks, but I'm not hungry." 

"Girl, at least have a hash brown." Shiq walked into my living room and saw 2 bags and a suitcase. "You still ain't unpacked from tour?"

"No, uh, I'm actually going on another trip with Marshall." I said quietly.

"Aw shit, where to this time?" Shiq asked as she munched on a McMuffin.

I shrugged. "I don't really know, but I think it's tropical.

Shiq reached over and hugged me. "I'm so happy for you. I've never seen you glow like this."

We ate our breakfast and then hopped into Shiq's car. She took me to one of the best spas in LA. We got mani/pedis, facials, and massages.

"Thank you, this is a great way to spend my last day before court."

"Of course, love. I owe you a couple." She laughed. "You ready to go?"

"Just one last thing." I announced. "Can I get a Brazilian wax?"

After the spa Shiq and I had a nice dinner at a restaurant on the pier and we talked and laughed about our experiences on tour and how we could not wait to go to the east coast. Shiq kept texting someone throughout their meal.

"Who's that?" I questioned.

"Nothing important."

"Well I guess I should get home and start getting ready for tomorrow." I said anxiously.

"Not yet." Shiq told me. "Let's go for a relaxing walk on the beach."

We walked on the beach for over an hour. We always had things to talk about. The sun started going down and my sundress blew in the night breeze.  We made the drive back to my house as Shiqonda received and replied to one last text.  We both got out of the car and I thanked Shiq for such a wonderful day. Shiq gave me a huge hug and reassured me that tomorrow would go fine and that she would be at the hearing for support.

Shiq sped away as I disappeared into my home. Just then, my phone rang. It was Marshall offering words of encouragement for tomorrow and telling me how bad he felt that he was not there for me.

"It's fine honey. I understand."

"There should be a package for you." Marshall said just as the doorbell rang.

"That must be it now or Shiq forgot something." I ran to the door.

I opened the door to Marshall standing on my doorstep. He smiled and I pulled him in wrapping my arms around his neck and started to cry happy tears.

"I couldn't let you do this alone." Marshall said lovingly.

I had a rough day ahead of me, but at least I had my loving boyfriend there to support me and hold me through the night.