Permission

Marshall POV

Christmas was officially in the air.  Lilly's children, including Tessa, had flown in a week after thanksgiving when the weather had cleared up.  Tessa was staying in a spare room at Hailie's apartment and was seriously considering transferring to an art school here in Detroit to be with the family.

It was a Saturday when the six kids, Lilly, and I gathered to decorate the house. We assembled the huge Christmas tree with lights and ornaments and placed the star at the top, then wrapped greenery around the banisters and upon the mantle. Fake icicles were placed on the mirrors and shiny candles along the coffee table. We finished with some LED lights outside and a magnificent wreath on the front door.

When evening came, we all sat amongst the candles and ate Lilly's dinner of chili and cornbread.   The kids made plans for Christmas Day, deciding that  they would all sleep here at our house on Christmas Eve and prepare Christmas dinner together.

~~~~

A few days later, I arranged to meet with all the children while I treated Lilly to getting her hair and nails done.   Lilly had just left when Hailie entered with Tessa and her other two sisters. Upon their arrival, I called Dom and Angel to the living room as well.  We all sat there in silence.

"What's going on? Why are we all here?" Whitney wanted to know.

A slight knowing smile spread over Hailie's face.

"Well, as you all know," I began, "Lilly and I have been together for six months now and we're incredibly happy together.  I want to make it official, but I wanted to tell you guys about it before I ask her." 

I pulled out a box from my pocket and opened it to reveal a beautiful engagement ring. 

 "Someone helped me pick this out the other day." I said nudging Hailie.

"Holy bling!" Alaina exclaimed.

Tessa seemed a bit unsure, "Are you really sure you guys are ready for marriage? You truly haven't known each other for that long."

I explained to Tessa, "I know, but I'm almost fifty and I've never trusted or respected a woman the way I do your mother.   It's meant to be."

Angel chimed in, "Well I for one, have noticed that my mom is the happiest I've ever seen her since she's met you. And..." She paused. "We love you too Marshall. You're so nice to us and take care of us just like a dad." 

I was surprised when Angel leaned in to give me a hug.

"So, does everyone approve of me proposing to Lilly? Tessa, you good?"

"Yeah, I know mom loves you."

"When you gonna ask her?" Dom wanted to know.

"Are you going to do it on Christmas Eve?" Angel asked excitedly.

"I haven't decided that part yet. I guess whenever it feels right." I told them.

Lilly returned home later that night to find us all in the theatre room hanging out.

"What a pleasant surprise!" She greeted everyone and we all told her how great her hair looked.

Lilly sat down with me and the family to join them in watching the movie.

"Hey, I talked to Shiq today." 

"Oh cool, how she doin?"

"She's going home to Chicago to visit her family for Christmas, so we were thinking maybe she could visit us for a few days before she heads back to LA."