We The People

Lilly POV

As I fainted right there in the courtroom, a guard was able to catch me before I hit the ground. They moved me to a private conference room as the judge announced a one- hour recess. Marshall, Shiq, and Crystal made their way to the room they brought me to. There were some medics taking my vitals.

I came to quickly, five minutes or so. They gave me some water and crackers. I breathed deeply and hung my head between my knees. Shiq fanned my head and everyone was silent as I recovered. The medics were shining lights in my eyes and they concluded that I was fine. Both Marshall and Shiq told me that I did not have to do this.

"No, I do. I've waited for this day for months. I'm going to testify against this motherfucker. It was just too much emotion all at once, but I'm fine now. I ain't no little pussy. I'm Lilly from Philly!"

I took a few more minutes to make sure I no longer felt sick. I felt much better now. My breathing was back to normal and I felt no anxiety at all. I felt anger! Angry that Damian invaded my body, angry that he made me feel it was my fault, pissed that my children saw their mother with bruises all over my body and I had to try to explain to them what happened, pissed that I had difficulty being in a new relationship. 

 "Fuck this dude!" I stood up ready to go.

"You'll do awesome girl! You're a badass." Crystal said as she gave me one last hug.

Marshall took my hands in his and kissed my cheek. I felt a strength I had not felt before.

I re-entered the courtroom with an air of confidence. I did not look at anyone this time. I paid Damian no mind and calmly took the stand.

Prosecution: Ms. Chastain how do you know Damian Rodriguez?

Lilly: He's a producer at the studio I work at.

P: Have you ever had a romantic relationship with Mr. Rodriguez?

L: No

P: Did he ask you to leave and go to Paramount Studios with him?

L: No, he said we were going to a diner.

P: Please give us your account of the night in question.

Lilly: Damian said we would go to a local diner. Instead, he took me to Paramount and said he had to get something. He told me to come in with him and I did. He held the door to his office, so I was cornered. Damian then closed and locked the door. (Lilly's eyes met Marshall's, then she continued.) I tried to run, but he pushed me to the ground. He then picked me up and pushed me to the desk. Damian said some disgusting things about me being a slut and a tease. Then he punched me twice, breaking my orbital. (Lilly takes a deep breath and sips water.) Damian Rodriguez raped me on his desk. As he was raping me, he bit my collarbone so hard that it bled.

P: Did you scream Ms. Chastain?

L: Yes

P: Did you say stop?

L: Yes

P: Ms. Chastain do you have children?

L: Yes, 3

P: How old are they?

L: 20, 15, and 12

P: Did your children see your injuries?

L: Yes

P: What did you tell your 12 yr. old son?

L: (Lilly took some breaths as to not cry) I had to explain to him that a man beat me up.

P: Ms. Chastain do you suffer from PTSD?

L: Yes.

P: What are your symptoms?

L: Nightmares, panic attacks, anxiety

P: What did Damian do after he raped you?

L: He just left.

P: Did you make a police report and complete a rape kit directly following the incident?

L: Yes

The only part that choked me up was the part about my son. The questions felt like it lasted a lifetime. When the prosecutor was finished, it was such a relief. The torture was almost over.

Marshall POV: I could have cried, I felt so bad for my girl. I know what happened to her, but it was devastating listening to her speak of such a personal matter in a room full of strangers. Damian is such a sick fuck! He's probably done this to dozens of women. I hope they lock him up forever.

The defense then had the opportunity to ask Lilly questions.

Defense Attorney: Ms. Chastain what were you wearing on the night in question?

Prosecutor: Objection, relevance? (sustained)

DA: Did you and Mr. Rodriguez leave for the purpose of having sex?

Lilly: No

DA: Had you been drinking alcohol?

L: No, I'm sober

DA: Why did you go with Mr. Rodriguez?

L: He said we were going to eat

DA: Did you have sex with Damian in hopes of a promotion at work?

L: No

DA: Did you dance with Damian earlier at the bar?

L: No, we were all dancing. I did not dance specifically with Damian.

The questioning was finally over...again and Lilly knew that she answered everything to the best of her ability. Now they had to wait for the jury to deliberate. This case was cut and dry. Lilly had his teeth marks on her and his DNA. The court recessed.

Lilly's friends gathered around her and told her how wonderful she did. Marshall came up behind Lilly, enclosed her in his arms, and whispered in her ear how proud he was of her. Lilly took a deep breath and exhaled.

It had only been an hour, but the jury reached a decision: "We the people find the defendant, Damian Rodriguez...GUILTY on charges of rape and physical assault in the 2nd degree."

The judge told Damian that he was a disgrace and sentencing was to be at a later date and the bailiff took Damian off into custody.