Broken

Book Title: Broken 

Genre: Teen Fiction/New Adult 

Author: gregcee

 Chapters: 63 (I read the first 10 chapters) 

Reviewed by: 

BLURB:

 My (incorrect) first impression upon reading the top few lines of your blurb was that it sounded like "Broken" could become one of those books where the caretaker of a disabled person is praised as a hero, but as I got into the second half of the blurb I realize that isn't the case and I was so happy and relieved. Toward the end of the blurb, you made it crystal clear that this is the story of two people with troubled pasts instead of just superficial writing about a nurse helping someone with physical challenges. 

COVER:

 Your cover is giving me a doom and gloom vibe. It matches the tone of your overall book, but I would suggest maybe changing it to a picture that represents your main characters. Maybe have a cover with two women sitting together or facing each other? 

TITLE:

 The title of your book is appropriate but it is generic. I understand it is named after a song you have chosen to accompany the story, but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of books with the same name. You can keep the title because I do feel that it matches and represents what your characters are feeling inside, but if you change the title into something unique then you're more likely to attract potential readers. 

Writing Voice:

I have to applaud you for your preface with Amy's POV and the immersive soundtrack/Spotify list (multimedia makes your book so interesting). It is always a good idea to give readers a basic rundown of your primary character's background and you have done that without going into too many details, just enough to make your readers sympathize with her and wanting to root for her to finally find happiness. I love Sam's POV as well. She is written not as a stereotypical rich girl but as a girl craving her parents' love and she is learning about how fragile life can be.

Narrative hook: What hooked me to the story is how you portray Sam. She has lost her twin sister in an accident that forces her to use a wheelchair and as a result becomes bitter and obstinate, always giving her caregivers troubles for her attitude and unfriendliness. However, Amy comes into the picture and this is where things begin to look different. This is such a great hook! As a reader, the way you present Sam's change of heart has successfully wowed me. Also, that plot twist in the chapter called "Panic" takes the cake. Karma really bites Sam in the ass but I'm so pleased with how you have allowed her to mature a bit. 

 Plot progression: I like how the story begins with a miserable Sam being seemingly unable to forgive herself and move on from her past and then as the story unfolds she takes small but important steps to reconcile with what has been haunting her. It is a deep dive into the human psyche. 

 Protagonist's goal: There are two protagonists who at first seem to be so different from each other but are ultimately meant to complement one another. Amy is a nurse who has Asperger's syndrome and just gets out of an abusive relationship, so she needs some sense of independence and financial security. Sam is a tetraplegic who, because of losing her sister and also because of her initial struggle with her disability, has problems curbing her tendency to be rude to people. In the end, however, they are on a journey to prove together that people can change, for better or for worse. 

 Conflict: I detect both internal and external conflicts in your book. The main one is between "Old Sam" (the 17-year-old girl who was very popular and yet was a big bully) and "New Sam" (the 22-year-old who tries to cope with the aftermath of her accident), but also between Amy and herself (as she has to manage her anxiety). 

The premise of the story: The premise is simple yet very appealing. The book follows the journey of Sam, who is her own worst enemy, slowly being forced to recognize how much of a horrible person she is. It becomes even more of a fun read since Sam has to regularly interact with Amy—who deals with trauma and social awkwardness—despite sharing unpleasant history. It is refreshing to have a protagonist that starts out unlikable and another protagonist that is the complete opposite. 

Descriptions: You have described the setting of the story well enough to enable readers to visualize where the characters are. Your strongest descriptions appear in the chapter where Amy visits Sam's house for the first time for a job interview. You have managed to show and not just tell how huge the house is and how it exudes an air of loneliness, isolation, and seclusion. 

 Final comments: This book is an emotional roller coaster and I like how you have enough grasp of human psychology to pull off what could easily have been a thoughtless 'inspiration porn' book. The true lessons readers can take home from your book is not that a life-altering disability has to be overcome, but that it is okay to stumble through the ups and downs of life. For how well you handle a sensitive topic, I take my hat off to you. Thank you for not reducing disabled characters into mere stereotypes or cheap caricatures. This is a compelling read!