December 23rd, 2020

Failed Attempt #23
-/-/-

"There's no space!"

"Make it work." Chenle hauled his heavy bag of groceries into the kitchen, socked feet shuffling across the floor.

The kitchen lighting finally flickered on when the older man shouldered the switch, a small groan leaving him as the plastic switch dug into his shoulder bone. With the sudden brightness both men let out noises of discontent, furiously blinking to readjust to the cool white light of their overhead lights.

Bright colorful splashes of their Christmas lights clashed with the kitchen light spilling through the entryways like the moon spills over the ocean surface. Edges of the white aura caught on the round brown eyes of their puppy, the small eyes reflecting the moving objects before her. Unfortunately their blinds were drawn, making the room that much more difficult to navigate.

Chenle scoffed at the memory of Jisung tugging the fabric shut. While they lived on the higher levels of the floor, Jisung still felt the need to have the blinds closed for privacy.

'Why are you closing the blinds?'

'Privacy!'

Chenle's head thumped back against the top of the couch. Disbelief rolling over his body in staggering waves. 'Privacy from who? The birds?'

'Yes! Exactly!'

High pitched whines pulled him for his brief reminiscing. The noise came from behind the alabaster white baby-gate in the hallway to their bedrooms. Little paws pattered around the enclosed space before a small bark pierced the air.

Jisung had managed to shove their coffee maker and toaster out of the way for his bag of cranberries and walnuts. He turned taking the last bag from his companion setting it down on the countertop. Careful hands raised in case the bag decided to topple over and spill bags of cranberries and walnuts. His counter-part muffled an adoring laugh behind his hand, Chenle approached the hallway.

The sad and upset whines shifted to elated yips and scrambling of tiny claws on hardwood. Both men winced at the thought of their nice hardwood floor being scratched up from Daegal's tiny claws.

Unpacking ensued, stacks of different containers full of fruit, deli meat and extra food colored the countertops. Jisung clumsy as ever fumbled with folding the brown paper bags down. His tongue stuck out in concentration while he aligned each bag into the perfect fold and size. The man's mind scattered like marbles, his body's autopilot kicking in. He silently put away everything, absently listening to Chenle putter about with Daegal like a worried parent does.

Chenle stole glances into the kitchen, worry spiking with the sudden jump in crumpling of paper bags. 'He'll be fine. He can't burn anything down, he's just putting things away.'

Pressing back into the couch, the ravenette let out an upheaval sigh. Cell phone in hand he scrolled through the multiple links to American food recipes that Johnny had sent him. One in particular made him furrow his brows, a pie made from red raspberries and raspberry jello. They could make it into a pie?

"Jisung, these dishes are weird. Do you think we'll like any of them?" Daegal jumped up onto the couch after four attempts, quickly padding her way into Chenle's lap for much needed attention.

Absentmindedly petting the puppy, the ravenette peered over his shoulder at Jisung. His heart stuttered in his chest; the man was already setting aside the nonperishable food items with their recipe.

'Perfect husband material.'

Wait. What?!

---
I have no excuses for this being months late. Also yes, that pie is something my family actually makes. It's very good! I haven't had it in years tho :((