◇53◇

🥀 Chapter 53 🥀

🥀 Chapter 53 🥀

SHE ISN'T ANSWERING any of my calls..

The pace of John's unsettled figure grew more unsteady by the second. He marched along the sides of hallway, a path clearing up where we he went. Anyone could tell he was a scary mess right now. But why? To everyone else, he was still the worthless cripple.

Eyes searching around, he assured himself futilely. I'll just catch Sera after class. That'll give me a chance to convince her.

After the grand fight, John felt restless. He only felt like complete shit ever since. A billion things ran through his mind and all he wanted was a sense of normality. The only thing that he could think of for this was his best friend Seraphina, yet he felt like she hadn't been around him lately. Why was nothing going his way? It was beyond frustrating.

The dark haired boy froze when he heard her voice around the corner. However, he froze when he saw the scene in front of him. His friend was standing firmly in front of a low tier, protecting them from another student that wore a Joker mask. What the hell is going on here?! Suddenly, his heart rate picked up and he felt dizzy. No, that isn't me!

"Seraphina..." The hurt low-tier urged. "Please save yourself." As much as Evie trusted Seraphina and her strength even as a cripple, this was still far too dangerous. She didn't want a figure she looked up to get hurt protecting her insignificant self.

The words didn't reach Seraphina. She was more focused on the enemy in front of her. The fake Joker easily got a few hits in using his ability, pushing her back as she struggled to block them. He's much faster than me. The crippled girl realized. I need to find an opening! What would John—?

All her concentration was lost in that brief moment, allowing the fake Joker to land a fatal punch to her jaw.

John, who was spectating in disbelief, had enough.

He stepped forward one step, yelling, "Hey, get—"

Every fiber of his muscle tensed up when a certain someone stepped in before him. He resisted the urge to lash out solely due to Seraphina's presence. It didn't even take a second for the fake Joker to be disabled by Y/N. He was already out cold from a single flip.

"Are you okay?" Y/N asked the purple-haired girl in concern.

Despite Y/N being the one in front of her, Sera could only keep her eyes on the unmoving John who had appeared from the corner. Snapping out of his dazed state, he coughed, "That was amazing. Nice one.....Y/N.." Even John's acting skills had a tough time when it came to Y/N. Though, it was commendable how quickly he adapted to the situation to save himself.