Broken Dynamics

Unrelated to the chapter but the animatic above is soooo good!!!!

Background: On November 16th, sleepybois are unofficial brothers, with Phil as the dad.

Triggers: Violence, spoilers for the Manberg vs Pogtopia war, broken dynamics, minor swearing.

----------

"What are you doing?"

The crazed man turned around to see Philza leaning against the door, watching him intently.

"Don't press that button, Will."

"Do you know why? Why I need to press this button, Phil?"

"Uhuh. I get why you feel the need to press that button. Have you thought about this Wilbur? What happened to the special land where men could go and emancipate?" Phil exasperatedly waved his hands at the writing scribbled all over the four, small walls.

"Yes, Phil. I have been here more times than I can count. I have the fate of this ruined nation in my hand, and I can't fucking press it?" 

Phil visibly winced at the words coming out of Wilbur's mouth. He didn't know what he was talking about, nor did it even make sense!

The tall, lanky man slumped against the rough and hastily dug out walls, letting out a small cry of pain at the choice he was to make.

Do I blow up my broken Nation, set it free...

Sounds of fighting erupted and echoed throughout the room from outside.

...Or do I let the Nation suffer more than it already has?

"I-I just don't know anymore Phil?" Wilbur's voice rose at the end of the sentence as if it were a question.

----------

Phil watched as one of his closest friends descended into madness. He would never admit it out loud, but this kind of chaos was too much for him. It was easier with Techno.

Phil had a great time with the wars sided with Technoblade, and whenever that was too much, he was able to switch servers and spend time on his own hardcore world. There, he didn't have to worry about insanity or violence.

There, he trusted that his brothers would take care of each other.

Here, it was evident that the trust had been eradicated the minute Phil had left the boys to their own devices. 

There weren't bound in blood!

The only thing holding them together was the blonde man himself, and the thought that they could trust each other.

Philza focused his attention back onto the man next to the button. 

When did he lose his figurative son?

"Hey Phil, what does it feel like once you've lost everything?"

Phil's blue eyes snapped up to meet the younger's once warm brown once questioningly. 

"I think I know now."

The eldest son's hand was hesitantly but surely going to press the button when a frantic teenager burst into the room with a panicky expression painted across his face and body stance. 

He wore only a worn-out netherite chest plate and a simple diamond sword that shone with some sort of enchantment. Fresh, wet tears poured down the 16-year-old's face as he shoved himself entirely in the way of the button, placing himself in front of Wilbur.

Phil quietly observed the faint, dazed shock that passed across Tommy's face when he registered his father figure standing in the doorway he'd just gone through. There was no information on his arrival after all, and it was not the best idea to check communicators when you're in the middle of a war.

Despite his initial shock and stun, Tommy stood his ground and half-heartedly shoved Wilbur away from the oak button on the wall.

----------

"Wilbur, you can't do this. You've lost your fucking mind!"

"Yes, I have Tommy! And it's about time too. I've been betrayed so many fucking times, so it's time for me to betray my once-great nation." The thing that scared Tommy the most was that Wilbur did stutter once. Nor did his voice shake or crack. It held finality.

Wilbur turned to Philza to his left and continued his rant.

"You know in the days of the war for L'manbergs independence, there was a traitor, Eret." Wilbur spoke calmly directly to Phil, turning his back entirely on Tommy. He couldn't see the distressed look on his friend's face.

"There was this famous saying that still rings throughout the hills and valleys of this wretched land. 'It was never meant to be.'" 

The sound of hissing filled Tommy's ears and different expressions filled each of the three's faces.

Fear.

Content.

And emotionless.

Tommy screamed for his figurative brother. 

Wilbur didn't respond.

Tommy watched as the explosions filled his vision and hearing.

His last sight was Technoblade standing next to Phil as the older killed his brother Wilbur.

His last thought:

Why?

----------

Sometimes broken dynamics aren't obvious.

----------