Chapter 22

Jess's POV

I was standing in my room, in front of the door finding it very interesting. My gaze is fixed on the plane brown hardwood, as a million thoughts ran in my mind. I am supposed to go meet Jem in his office in 2 minutes but my feet were glued to the ground. Just then the door swung open and Jase walked right in my face, making me stumble. 

"Watch where you're going." I said rubbing my nose which was probably red by now. "It's not my fault that you were standing right in front of the door." He said with a scowl, wow he has a scowl instead if his smirk, that's different. 

"What is it that you want." I asked getting annoyed. "Aren't you supposed to meet Jem in his office." He said. "Yes, that's why I was heading to the door." I said. "Correction, that's why you were standing in front of the door." He said, his smirk forming. "Jem takes punctuality to the next the level and it's already time." He added.

I took a deep breath and exhaled, trying to ease my fear. I really don't know how I'm going to survive. "Are you scared." Jase asked softly and I nodded. "Do you want me to come with you." He asked in the soft voice. Well, Jase can be a comforting sometimes, but then I'll have tell the truth to two people. "Yes please." I replied. 

He took my small hands in his large once and we went to Jem's downstairs office. I squeezed his hand tightly as we neared the huge black door. "Come in." Jem's voice said before we could even knock on the door, talk about creepy.

Jase pushed the door and I was greeted by the sophisticated grey room. "You're late." His cold voice whispered as I leaned back on his black chair. "Well we are here now, can we have this talk." Jase answered for me. "Take a sit." He said mentioning to the grey sofas. 

"How are you feeling." Jem asked as we sat down, his eyes soften ever so slightly. "Better, thank you." I replied. "Okay so coming to the point, with all the legal procedures you will be questioned by the police because you were a witness, but, I managed to convince them not to" He said. I let out a breath of relief as he said the last line. 

"So Jess, you will answer all the questions I ask truthfully." He said leaving no room for argument. "Actually I'll tell everything in my own records." I said darkening my eyes, a talent which I treasure a lot. Jase turned to me with his mouth slightly ajar and shock was written all over his face.

Jem's eyes shone little with amusement as his hazel orbs searched deeply into my blue ones. "Okay then go on." He said. "The men who were chasing me, their motorcycles had a symbol of a wolf embedded in the front. It was outlined in shining sliver but the eyes, it was crimson, more like in the color of blood. To be more clear and precise, it was the symbol of the Russian Mafia." Just like that, I dropped the bomb, half of my mind was in utter shock while the other was filled with confidence.

Jase's jaw dropped even wider as he stared at me. "And how to you know that it was the Russians." Jem asked his features remaining a calm as always. "About that." I said nervously, my confidence suddenly vanishing. "I have lied several times to all of you." I said softly and lowered my head.

"The reason I visit the library was because of the secret room, not to read." I said slowly. "Wait so you don't read those boring big books on 17th century stuff." Jase suddenly asked and I shook my head no. "Thank God, I thought you liked those." He said scrunching his face, while looked at him in disbelieve. 

"I was wondering when you'll admit." Jem said with a sly smirk on his face. "What" I asked not understanding what he meant. "You think I don't know that you were in the secret room." He asked and I started at him in shock. "I knew from the first time. The black book has a chip in it which can identify who went in from the person's finger print. I also get an alert message whenever someone moves it." He stated simply, while my mouth hung open in shock.