✨Chapter 27: The Spirit

Your pov

Morning; the sun glared through the windows, it was unusually warm and cosy. So much so it was a struggle to reach out to the table and turn off your alarm.

'Must've fallen asleep on the sofa...'

Scrunching up your nose, you groaned sitting up, "..I feel horrendous.."

"Finally awake..?"

You looked underneath you, and felt your stomach flip, "..."

"Last night was a mess--"

In one swift motion, you clenched your hand into a fist and connected it with his jaw--

"SHIT (Y/N), WHAT WAS THAT FOR??"

"WHY A-AM I HERE, O-ON YOU!?"

"YOU FELL ASLEEP ON ME AFTER    THROWING UP, WHAT THE HELL 
   WAS I MEANT TO DO?!"               

That's when the memory of the kiss from last night flashed in your mind. Your cheeks warm in embarrassment..

"Y-You know what?" You got off the man, "Just, forget everything that happened last night please.. And I'm sorry for punching you, it's a reflex.."

"..I don't think I'll be forgetting anytime soon," He sat up with a smug grin, "You called me by my first name~"

"...That's the last time I'm drinking around you."

/////// Half an hour later... 8:34am

On the odd occasion, you still received solo missions; ones that the higher-ups believed you were suitable for. And although you hated those people, you could never back down on a case.

Gojou spent the day training with Nobara and Megumi, whilst Nanami tutored Yuji as planned. Meanwhile, you made your way to the location you were sent.

Running ahead with Chou, you entered the cemetery, activating an ability,

'Écran..'

You held your palms together, before opening a dimension, the two of you stepping through. Essentially becoming invisible to Curses, so long as you kept calm.

There had been unexplained occurrences of graves being found dug up. People literally couldn't lay their loved ones to rest. And as you walked further through the shady area, you saw why and stopped dead in your tracks.

Red eyes with sharp slits for pupils, skin oozing with a stench of rotting meat. And a large round body, with thin legs barely able to support its frame.

"S-Sorry for your... l-loss..."

It snapped it's head your way, and you felt your chest clench, swallowing thickly as it slowly looked through you..

'..I just have to get close..'

Chou crouched down, watching ahead as you prepared your Cursed energy, channelling it through your body.

'There's no time for false execution.. I've got you now.' Holding up your hand, you held down your ring finger,

⚫*•°~. Noir .~°•*⚫

The Curse flinched as it's surroundings disappeared, and it became enveloped in a black abyss. Zero gravity, zero interference for your attacks.

Everything was just, dark.

"Finally, " You sighed watching the Curse struggle to stay upright, "You kind of scared me out there... I can see why they'd need me to handle you.."

"Y-Your loss.. Sorry.." It squirmed around and you walked ahead with no issue.

"What's that you're mumbling about..?" You clenched your fist punching forward, "Nevermind, let's get this done and over with..!"

"Plier."

The hit connected with its skull, and you watched at the flesh slowly crumble apart in a chain reaction. Withering away like a dying flower.

That was another benefit of killing Curses in this realm. Blood didn't splatter everywhere and mess up your clothes.

Getting close to them always made you feel greatly intimidated though.. One heartbeat out of the pattern, and they'd kill you in an instant; your invisibility ruined.

But with Chou's stabilising effect on your emotions, you were safe from that ever happening..

You sighed, breathing in the fresh air outside the Domain, resting your hands on your knees,

"..That was quick work, no match for us right Chou?" You turned to where the cat was last spotted, "..Chou..?"

'He wasn't there this whole time?'

You held your pendant, turning all the way around, but there were no signs of the feline anywhere..

'He ran off again.' Following the path, you walked out of the cemetery until spotting an elderly man sat on a park bench.

It was a hunch, but the gentleman might have seen your companion pass by. However, the closer you walked, the more you realised there was no actual living presence on the body..

'A spirit..?' You stopped next to them, 'Well, I don't feel any hostility..'

"Excuse me, Sir. Sorry to bother you, but did you see a Calico cat run by?" Giving a friendly grin, you looked down at the peaceful entity.

"Aha.. (Y-Y/n) isn't it..?" That's when both sets of (e/c) eyes met, "I think I've forgotten everything now.."

'..That face..H-How..?'

You took a few steps backwards, hot tears on the verge of spilling over your lashes.

"Where-- Where's Chou?" Your voice cracked as the man looked up at the cloudy sky.

"Sorry, I ran off again, didn't I, " He solemnly responded, "..You must be confused. I have been too."

:0

Also, thanks for the 5K reads by the way~
You guys are amazing! 💞

Thanks for reading!❤