Part 56

Darshan is lying down on the couch staring at the wall blankly. His trance is broken when lighting strikes the night sky and the sound of rain pouring down can be heard. He shakes his head to clear the thoughts when his eyes fall on the watch. The clock strikes 2 in the morning. He grabs his phone and advances towards his bedroom after shutting off everything in the studio. As he enters the bedroom, he is welcomed by the darkness and the silence. He turns on the lights as he makes his way towards the bed. He sits on his knee beside Jaimi's side of the bed and sees beads of sweat on her forehead. He turns on the air conditioner and leans forward to pull the comforter over Jaimi when he sees red spots on her clothes and the bedsheet. He gets on the other side of the bed and sees her shorts and bedsheet covered with blood. He panics not knowing what to do. He shakes Jaimi a few times and she stirs in her sleep. She slowly opens her eyes and tries to make sense of her surrounding. Her eyes stop on his panic-stricken face. 

Jaimi: Kya hua?

Darshan: Kh... khoon!

Jaimi follows his line of vision which is directed towards her shorts. She sees bloodstain on her shorts and the bedsheet. She jumps out of the bed and runs into the bathroom. He is sitting there not knowing what to do. He jumps off the bed and knocks on the bathroom door. 

Darshan: Jaimi, tum thik ho? 

He waits for her reply but nothing came from the other side. 

Darshan: Doctor ko call karu?

Jaimi: No!

Darshan: Tum thik ho?

Jaimi: Uh... yeah. Don't worry, I'm just on my period!

Jaimi sits on the toilet seat holding her stomach. Her voice comes out as a squeak. She slowly gets up and looks through the cabinets under the vanity for a pad, but doesn't find any. 

Jaimi: D... Darshan?

Darshan: Haan! Kya hua? 

Jaimi: Kya tum mujhe pad aur mere kapde de sakhte ho?

Darshan: Uh... yeah! 

Jaimi: Woh pad meine pantry mein hi chod diye hain!

Darshan: Mein dekhta hoon. You relax!

He goes down to the pantry and grabs the two boxes of the pad and the medicine. He puts them on the sofa before going into the closet. He grabs a pair of black shorts and an oversized t-shirt which he spots. He knocks on the door. Jaimi peeps out and he hands her clothes and one of the boxes. He notices that she was holding her stomach the whole time. 

Darshan: Apne kapde laundry basket ke saath bahar de dena. 

Jaimi nods her head and closes the door. She undresses and throws her clothes in the laundry basket. She places it outside of the bathroom door. Darshan removes the comforter, bedsheet, and pillow covers. He throws them in the laundry basket. He takes the laundry basket down with him and throws everything in the laundry. He sets up the machine for laundry before grabbing another set of bedding. He fixes the new bedding set on the bed. He goes downstairs and starts boiling water. He fills the water in the hot water bag and makes his way towards the bedroom. He sees Jaimi walking out of the bathroom as he steps in. She looks exhausted as she is holding her abdomen with one hand while the other hand is on her back. 

Darshan: Tum thik ho? Doctor ke paas jaana hain?

Jaimi: Nahi... I'm fine. Dysmenorrhea hi hain. Thodi derr baad thik ho jaaega.