Chapter 21: The Road-Trip

Flynn sat in her room staring at her computer. She had a bunch of work to do over spring break, yet she couldn't get herself to stop thinking about how bad she hurt Julie, but also how much she wanted to help her. She sent her 30th text of the day to Julie, just hoping at some point she would answer, but she realized she probably needed her space. So, Flynn went back to staring at her laptop to find the will to work when a text appeared on her phone. It was from Carrie.

"Wyd right now?"

It was kind of shocking to see Carrie's name come up on her phone, but it was nice to see that they could talk to each other like friends and not enemies now. Flynn responded.

"Procrastinating on work. Hbu?"

"So, nothing?" Carrie replied quickly

"Yeahh pretty much."

"Well then start your car and come pick me up."

"Why?"

"I have to get Dirty Candi costumes from Santa Clarita, and Kayla can't take me and no one else in Dirty Candi can drive."

"Why do you get your costumes from Santa Clarita?"

"He's the best in the business. We only deserve the best."

"How does this fall on me?"

"You're having a bad day, I'm having a bad day. We might as well jam out to music and eat bad food in the car."

Carrie did have a good point: maybe a distraction would be nice. But was she betraying Julie again if she went? She felt like she was playing Tug-Of-War with herself. If she goes, she hurts Julie, but there was something inside of her that felt like she needed to go. She looked at the messages she sent Julie: not even read. She sighed and texted Carrie back.

"I'm in. Get the snacks."

Flynn pulled up in front of Carrie's house and texted her that she was there. A few minutes later, Carrie came back with a bunch of junk food and dressed down completely. Flynn's never seen her like this. But she'd be lying if she said she didn't find it adorable. It made Carrie more real to her, like a possibility.

"Okay, so I have all the essentials: Oreos, Doritos, popcorn, and Buncha Cruncha. And more crap I pulled from the pantry," Carrie said as she got into the car.

Flynn laughed, "Wow, you really came prepared."

"You said to bring snacks," Carrie said, chuckling too. "I brought you a Cherry Coke too."

"Cherry Coke's my favorite, how'd you know?" Flynn asked.

"I didn't really. We just had them lying around," Carrie said, not wanting to admit that she bought a whole case of them for their songwriting session because she remembered that it was Flynn's favorite when they were younger.

Flynn shifted the car into gear, and they started driving. Flynn's playlist was going in the car.

"we fell in love in October? Next time, tattoo 'I'm a lesbian' on your forehead it's less obvious," Carrie joked.

Flynn laughed, "Okay, but don't act like it's not on your playlist too."

Carrie chuckled. They both started singing along quietly, both stealing looks at the other during the chorus. The last thing Flynn wanted to do was fall further into Carrie, and she truly wished they could just be friends, but there was something there, and she couldn't ignore it.

"Wait, why are you getting on I-5?" Carrie asked, semi-judgmentally.

"Because that's how you get to Santa Clarita?" Flynn chuckled.