Chapter 46: The Molinas

Reggie appeared in the Molina's house. He didn't quite know what to do. He wanted someone there that could see him and could help him. But he didn't want just anyone: he wanted Luke. He knew that there was no hope that he was there, that the angel said there was nothing they could do. So, he just sank down on the ground, sitting in the middle of the hallway. As he sat there, Ray and Carlos came blasting through the garage door, Carlos on Ray's shoulders.

"VICTORY!" Carlos yelled, holding a mini plastic trophy in his hand.

"You did it!" Ray yelled. "I'm gonna order some pizza. You hungry?"

"Of course!" Carlos said, hopping off his dad's back.

"Okay then I'll order it to deliver. It should be here in thirty minutes. Why don't you go shower and get pajamas on while I order?" Ray suggested.

Carlos ran upstairs, "Then we'll watch a movie?"

"It's getting kind of late."

"Please?"

"Okay fine, but only because you guys won," Ray laughed. Carlos ran up the stairs cheering.

Ray sat down at the table with his laptop in front of him, entering the order into it. Reggie pulled out the chair next to him and sat down.

"Ray, I've always wished I could talk to you, but never more than I wished I could now," Reggie said as he leaned back into the chair. "He's gone, Ray. I thought maybe it was temporary. Maybe when we defeated Caleb he would come back. But he's still gone Ray. He didn't come back. I thought he might. I didn't want to believe he was gone," Reggie cried. "And I know you know how this feels after you lost Rose. I know you could really help me here. You could be here for me and care for me and tell me just the right words to get me to figure out how to do this," Reggie began to sob harder now. "But I'm hanging by a thread right now. I know Luke wouldn't want me to be sitting here crying over him right now, but I can't think of anything else I can do. I have three hours and thirty minutes left, and I don't even know what I want. If he were here, we'd be crossing off all the items on some crazy bucket list of schemes. He would make it all better. But he can't." Reggie laid his arms down on the table, then rested his head into them, crying into the sleeves.

Rose and Julie walked into the house a few minutes after Reggie talked to Ray. They turned into the dining room to find Reggie crying, and Ray still sitting there, probably doing some work on his laptop.

"Hey Julie!" Ray said as she turned into the room. Reggie picked his head up and faked a smile, but his eyes were still red with tears. "Where's Nick? I'd like to talk to the guy who just took you on a date."

"I left the date early. There was kind of an emergency," Julie responded.

"What's the emergency? Is everyone okay?" Ray asked.

"Yes and no. You know my bandmate Reggie, right?"

"The one that wears the leather jackets and plays the bass? Yeah, I know which one he is."

Julie took a deep breath as she choked on her words, "His boyfriend died today."

"That's horrible. I'm so sorry. Did you know him?"

"Yeah," Julie squeaked, "but not very well," she lied, trying to make sure the attention stayed on Reggie. "I'm just sad for him, you know? They weren't just boyfriends; they were best friends too. His parents aren't really in his life, so they can't help him."

"Oh. Well, I could talk to him," Ray offered. "I may not know everything, but I know a little bit about what he's going through."

"Well, he's been dodging my calls, so, if you could, maybe you can just record a message?" Julie asked.