Chapter 42: The Showdown

"Now, it's my turn to have a little fun," Carrie chuckled as she turned her palms towards the sky as they filled with purple lightning. She flashed the first bolt towards Julie, who jumped out of the way before it could hit her.

"We have to run!" Julie yelled as the group ran behind a brick wall near the car and hid behind there. Carrie blasted lighting at the wall, but it only left a burn mark on it. Carrie yelled in frustration.

"Remember the fear you felt when your dad found those notes in your box," the group heard Caleb's voice say. "Remember having to send that text to her and sobbing into your pillow. Remember all those nights alone when they abandoned you without trying to hear your side of the story."

"Is that what really happened?" Julie said, turning to Flynn.

"Yeah, that's what she told me. I would've told you, but she asked me not to," Flynn replied.

Suddenly, the wall came down as they ran to find cover elsewhere, the lighting bolts becoming more frequent and damaging the ground around them more and more. Carrie poofed in front of them, still hovering above the ground with an evil grin.

"There's no use in running. There's nowhere you can hide where I won't be able to destroy you," Carrie said, twirling the weapon in her hand, taunting them.

As they stood there, ready to meet their end, Rose poofed in front of them before Carrie could blast them.

"What's wrong with Carrie? What did I miss?" Rose asked, standing in front of her daughter to protect her.

Carrie began to sink down from the air, "Ms. Rose?" she said, her voice growing softer.

Flynn turned to Julie. "I think she gains her powers from anger."

"So, if she isn't angry.." Julie began.

"She can fight him and regain control," Flynn finished her sentence.

Rose began to walk towards Carrie as her feet met the ground. "Yes, it's me. Carrie, I missed you so much. But I will always look out for you. Do you remember what I taught you to do when you get upset?" Rose asked Carrie.

"Yeah. Pretend like I'm playing the piano and say all of the chords," Carrie said as she visibly began to struggle, making it appear that Caleb was trying to take control again. Carrie grunted and struggled.

"Okay, let's say the notes for I See the Light from Tangled, okay?" Rose said, her eyes filling with tears. "Okay, so it starts with C, then G.."

Carrie joined in, weakly saying the chords along with Rose and moving her fingers, "C... C... G.."

As Carrie was beginning to struggle less, she moved her hand with the weapon towards Rose, prompting her to accept it before Caleb could take control again. But before Rose could take it, she felt another jolt. Carrie's face stewed as Rose fell to the ground, and Caleb took control once again, sending Carrie back into the air.

"You thought that was going to work, Rose?" Carrie said, laughing maniacally. "Rose, trying to save the day again. Just like you did when you sent the boys away to your daughter. You thought that was going to do something, huh? Bring her back into music? Save the boys from my clutches? But instead, you doomed her. You put her in danger." Carrie flew back down and grabbed Rose, pulling her into the air, as Julie, Reggie, and Flynn screamed. "I could kill you right now," Carrie said, but then she gave a sinister grin. "But what's the fun in that when I could just let you watch your daughter die." Carrie cackled. "And it won't be quick. No that would be too nice of me. I'll make it slow. I'll make it agonizing. You'll watch the jolts hit her until she fades, then you'll fade soon after. You messed with the wrong demon, Rose." Carrie said as they plummeted back towards the ground. She dropped Rose on the ground, making the Earth around them shake.