Part 18

~Poppy's POV~

The morning announcement played as I was getting dressed. God, I'm starting to hate that voice. I went to eat breakfast, I have a lot of tasks today so I tried to eat fast. I looked at my device to see where my tasks were. I had some in the reactor, so I walked over there. I pressed the numbers on a keypad in order and it flashed green, letting me know I did it right. I walked out and checked my device again, navigation. I walked over to navigation and started doing my tasks there. I decided to go check on Ash, they haven't really made any friends yet and I worry about them. I knocked on their door and heard annoyed grunts. They opened the door and looked at me.

Ash: Did you need something?

Poppy: Do you want to do tasks with me?

Ash: No.

They started to close the door but I stopped them.

Poppy: Please?

They looked at my face, studying my expression. They grumbled and stepped out of their room. I started walking towards my other tasks as they followed.

Poppy: Did you eat anything today?

Ash: No.

Poppy: Ash, you have to eat.

Ash: I wasn't hungry.

Poppy: Yes, you were, c'mon were getting you some food.

I grabbed their arm and guided them towards the cafeteria, they grumbled but didn't refuse. We sat down and they ate some food. After they finished we walked around doing our tasks together, though I swear I didn't see Ash do one. Though I probably wasn't watching. Right? Yeah, they're not the imposter. Then the nighttime announcement started playing.

Poppy: Ok, Ash! Goodnight!

Ash: Goodnight.

I started walking away.

Ash: Hey, Poppy, wait...

Poppy: Yeah?

They walked towards me and hugged me tightly.

Ash: Thank you...for not hating me.

They released and walked away quickly to their room. I stood there for a bit smiling, then went to my room. They were so warm and thinking about it made my heart flutter. I wished they were here, that hug felt so safe and nice. I went to sleep smiling.

~Ash's POV~

Why did I do that? That was so awkward, she probably hates me now, way to go Ash, ruining the only friendship you have ever had. I can't believe myself. Why was I like this, ugh I'm stupid, stupid stupid stupid. 

God why why why why. Ok, ok, calm down. You're fine, I mean after a while she was probably going to hate me anyway. Yeah, probably. 

I got dressed and looked in the mirror, my forehead was creased with worry. Still thinking about her huh. I laid back on my bed, my hands covering my face. Why did I have to ruin it this early? I actually kinda liked her too, I mean, she seemed to actually care about me which was weird.

Her smile was so cute, and she always lifted the mood. I don't think she cared that I didn't talk much either, which is good because I never know what to say. 

Out of all the things I hate, she wasn't one of them. Thinking about how I just ruined it like that makes me want to cry, if only I was better at being a friend. Maybe if I was like everyone else, maybe then I could have friends, maybe she would like me more. 

Who am I kidding, even if I tried I could never be a good person, never like her. Maybe I could take baby steps. I would force myself to go eat breakfast with the others...Ugh why. Why was I doing all this for one girl. Even if that girl was the only thing on this stupid ship that I didn't hate. 

I walked out and headed towards the cafeteria. Poppy, Kim, Blanc, Cyan, Oliver, and Rosie were sitting down together at a table. I got my food and sat at the table with the others. 

They all glanced over in surprise, well except Blanc. I looked at Poppy from my peripheral view and saw her smiling at me. Ok, baby steps. I finished eating before anyone else and put my plate away, Poppy looked up and followed me, even though she hadn't finished her food. 

We silently agreed to do tasks together, and I felt relieved that she still wanted to hang out with me. God... I hope she still likes me after a couple of days.