Chapter 3

Chapter 3

When Patrick called me the next day, I told him that I still wanted to do the show after all. He was nothing but happy about it, but yet again, he said to me that he didn't want me to do it only to make it easy for them and because I felt like I needed to. I told him that it wasn't the case, and it wasn't. I was genuinely excited about it. I just hoped that working with Harry and Nick would be better than I imagined.

On the other hand, Perrie was going to be there too, and I was so happy that she was the fourth judge and no one else because we had gotten along well since she was engaged to Zayn. She was a close friend of mine, and I could tell things would be a lot easier having her there by my side.

That was how I now, four weeks later, found myself entering a tall building next to the Wembley Arena. My heart was hammering in my chest by how nervous I was. I was pretty sure I was about to faint any second too, because my head was spinning like crazy, and I was positive it wasn't due to my lack of sleep or the fact that I had driven here like a maniac because I was running late.

Inhaling a deep breath, I looked up to find some people in the production scattered in the corner of the room. Not seeing anyone I recognized, I walked over to them and tapped a brown-haired man on the shoulder, making him turn around to face me.

His eyes widened in surprise, and a broad smile broke out on his features. "Louis! It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Logan," the man in his thirties greeted excitedly, extending a hand for me to shake.

I hesitantly took it, furrowing my eyebrows since I wasn't expecting a greeting like that. "It's nice to meet you too. I uhh... I was wondering if you know which way I'm supposed to go? I'm running a little late," I explained, grimacing.

His mouth formed the shape of an 'o'. "Of course. Just take the elevator to the tenth floor. Patrick and the rest of the crew are waiting there," he told me, flashing me a toothy grin.

I nodded, returning the smile. "Thank you."

With that said, I turned on my heel and headed for the elevator across the room. Considering how late I was running, I should have probably walked faster than I did, but I was still shaking with nervousness, so I couldn't make myself move more quickly even if I wanted to.

Once inside the elevator, I pressed the button for the tenth floor and squeezed my eyes shut. As if it wasn't enough that my heart was already practically jumping out of my chest, my hands were starting to get clammy, and I could feel beads of sweat forming on my forehead. I was not prepared for the inevitable meeting I knew I had to face.

Before I could think more about it, the doors opened, and I had no other choice but to exit the elevator, inhaling one last breath before doing so. The first person I caught sight of was Patrick because he instantly noticed my appearance and walked over with a broad smile on his lips.

"Louis! I'm so glad you're finally here," he said, his brown eyes twinkling from the lights in the room. He was in his late forties with grey strands in his dark hair and the stubble on his cheeks.

"I'm sorry," I grimaced. "Traffic was a bitch."

He waved a hand in dismissal. "It's okay. You're not the only one running late anyway. Nick and Harry have yet to show up too," he informed, patting me on the shoulder reassuringly.

For some reason, my heart skipped a beat at the mention of my ex-boyfriend. But I decided not to overthink it and nodded curtly. Right then, my eyes found the blonde-haired girl I had been looking forward to meeting behind his back, and I could feel my lips curl as we made eye contact.

"Louis," Perrie called out, walking over to bring me into a tight hug, squeezing me into her arms. "It's been way too long since last time. I'm so happy we're doing this together."