Chapter 5

Chapter 5

It was a sunny Monday afternoon in July 2015. I was out on a walk in London, wearing a cap and sunglasses in hopes of not being recognized by anyone. However, it wasn't just any walk I was out on. I had a destination in mind.

We were currently on a small break from our tour, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to do what I'd been thinking of doing for a couple of months now. Unfortunately, I hadn't found the right opportunity yet, too busy writing songs and touring. Besides, I had to do it at the right time, when the paparazzi and fans wouldn't see me because otherwise, I would be ruining everything.

I checked my surroundings now and then to ensure that I wasn't being followed or recognized by anyone as I walked along the street. Five minutes later, I finally caught sight of the shop I was heading to, and I quickly walked the last few steps to the door, checking one last time to make sure that no one was following me before entering the boutique.

Thankfully, there were no customers, so I decided to take off my sunglasses and reveal my eyes. I instantly heard the sound of someone inhaling a deep breath, and when I looked over to the checkout counter, I could see a woman in her fifties with brown, greyish hair and blue eyes standing with a hand over her mouth, her eyes wide open as she stared at me.

Clearing my throat, I flashed her a smile. "Hi," I greeted, showing off my teeth.

"Hello," she replied, and I could see that she mentally reminded herself to stay professional. "I'm sorry. I didn't expect you out of all people to show up. My uh... my children are big fans," she apologized.

I waved a hand in dismissal. "Don't worry about it. Actually, I was wondering if you could help me out? I need some advice."

Her mouth formed the shape of an 'o', and she didn't hesitate to walk around the counter to stroll over to me. "Of course. What are you looking for?" She asked, a curious glint in her eyes.

"A ring," I explained. "An engagement ring."

-----

The memory, which was also now a dream, went on repeat in my head as I sat in the backseat of the cab that was currently taking me to the Italian restaurant Patrick had texted me about earlier today. I had bought a ring shaped like a rose that afternoon two years ago, thinking I would give it to Harry when I proposed to him. Unfortunately, that never happened because, on that same day, I had received a call from Simon where he told me that he wanted to sign a new contract with me.

Everything about my and Harry's relationship had gone downhill after that, and the ring stayed hidden in its case under a pile of t-shirts in my closet until the day I moved out a few months later. And not once since I bought it had I found the willpower to open it and look at it, not even now when I lived on my own, and the case was still hidden under a pile of clothes in my closet.

It was my fault, though. I was blind and stupid. I didn't know what I was doing anymore, and all those words suddenly felt so real. But I wasn't the only one to blame. There was a reason I didn't want to look at Harry again after that evening back in October. Even if my words most likely hurt him, his felt like a stab in the heart. I had never been so hurt in my entire life as I was that day.

"Mr. Tomlinson, we have reached your destination," the driver announced, making me snap back to reality.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Thanks for the ride," I said, reaching over to blip my card against his card terminal.

"No problem. Have a nice evening," the man replied, looking into the rearview mirror to flash me a polite smile.

"You too," I smiled back before opening the door and getting out of the car.