Chapter 44

Chapter 44

"Do you want me to come with you?"

Harry and I realized there was no reason to go back to the arena again since it was already four in the afternoon, and everyone was most likely heading home. I felt bad for running off and leaving my group without a word, especially this week when things were more important than ever. It didn't make me feel better that I had made Harry leave too. I just hoped Perrie had come up with some excuse for why we were missing.

I ran a hand through my hair as I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl in the kitchen. Harry was standing in the doorway, leaning with his shoulder against it while poking his hip out. His eyes were following my every move, looking at me expectantly.

"I'd love you to drive me there," I replied as I walked over to him. Placing a gentle hand on his hip, I tilted my chin up to press a sweet kiss to his lips. "Come on. We've got to hurry."

He sent me a small smile before following me to the front door. I was still wearing both my shoes and jacket, and Harry was still wearing his shoes, so it didn't take long until we were sitting in his Range Rover, backing out of the driveway. Seeing my car reminded me that my bags and Clifford's food bowls were still in there, but that was something I would have to remind myself of later because what I was about to do was much more critical.

I could tell Harry knew how much this whole thing affected me by the way he kept glancing at the side of my face and reached out to squeeze my thigh reassuringly. I would be a nervous wreck if I were him, which he probably was. He was just good at hiding it, and he probably wanted to be there for me right now.

When he parked the car outside the familiar tall building and turned off the engine, a silence fell between us. I was too worked up to move. I knew I had to calm down before I even thought of exiting the car, or else this would end in a disaster.

Harry was looking at me in deep thought, and I could only imagine what was going on inside his head. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know.

I eventually reached my hand out to turn the door handle, but Harry grabbed my forearm before I could swing it open, stopping me from getting out. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" He asked, worry lacing his voice.

Turning my head to look at him, I could feel my heart clench at the look on his face. He looked like he was in pain, his features scrunched up. "I have to do this alone, love," I reminded him, sinking my teeth into my lip.

I knew he was expecting my reply, but that didn't mean it didn't make him sad. "I know..." He sighed. "Just be careful, alright?" And yes, he had definitely been hiding his nervousness before.

"I promise," I said, reaching over to press a kiss to his lips. "I love you."

He cracked a small smile. "Love you too."

When I got out of the car, the first thing I did was get rid of the apple. I didn't even know why I had grabbed it in the first place because I had only taken a few bites of it. Maybe I thought it would calm me down, distract me from the anger that was building up inside me. I was honestly surprised by how calm I had managed to stay, but Harry was not the person I wanted to get my anger out on, so maybe that was why.

The second I walked into the building, I could feel everyone turn their eyes to me. It was almost as if I was expected, yet at the same time, they seemed surprised. It was weird, and their looks made me shudder uncomfortably, my strides only quickening towards the elevator.

I didn't spare them another glance when I walked inside, letting the doors close behind me.

I was brought up to the floor I knew by heart, and the second I stepped out, I exhaled a deep breath. I should have probably smoked a cigarette before going here, but maybe having built-up frustration would make this easier. At least I hoped so.