Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Things were going pretty well the next day. The contestants were doing what they were supposed to, working with the choreographers and singing instructors, and I stayed at the front of the stage, pointing out things that could be improved but also things that were great. The best thing was that they were all motivated.

Things between me and Harry continued going pretty well too. We small talked now and then during the breaks, commenting on each other's acts and other stuff about work. Even if it wasn't much, it felt nice to finally be able to talk to him without having to worry that he was going to turn his back on me.

However, things changed when lunchtime came around. I was in the lounge room, my Airpods in my ears with loud music blasting at full volume. It was a combination of The Killers, Oasis and The Fray, some of my all-time favorite bands. They had written some of my go-to songs, the ones that just never got too old or boring.

As I nodded my head to the music, my feet resting on one of the armrests of the couch, I barely acknowledged that someone walked into the room. It wasn't until they were standing beside me on the couch that I snapped my head to them, my blood running cold as my eyes landed on a frustrated-looking Nick.

He was glaring at me, his brown eyes boring into mine, and I found myself pulling out one of my Airpods as I raised my eyebrows at him. "Wha-"

"You stay the fuck away from him, do you hear me?" He cut me off, hovering over my body.

I pulled myself up in a sitting position, furrowing my brows. "I'm sorry, what?"

His face hardened as he continued staring at me, his eyes as cold as ice. "Stay the fuck away from Harry."

I wanted to ask him if he was being serious. He was acting like a five-year-old standing up for their best friend. "I'm pretty sure he doesn't need your help to say that if that's what he wants," I replied, looking at him with an arched brow.

He shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose. "You don't understand," he grunted, annoyance lacing his voice. "He doesn't want you anywhere near him. He's told me this countless times. He just has a hard time saying fucking no to you. You're his weak point, and the only reason he's talking to you now is because his heart wants to, not because his mind does. Do you have any idea how bad you fucking hurt him that day?"

I swallowed, trying my best to keep looking into his eyes without faltering. It hurt hearing him say these words, that there was a possibility Harry only talked to me because he couldn't resist it and not because he whole-heartedly wanted to. "Of course I do, Nick. I'm not stupid. But he hurt me too, which you may not know about that. Not that it's any of your business. I honestly don't know why you're even here in the first place. I'm pretty sure Harry can take care of himself," I muttered.

He stared at me for a long time, his features turning into a look of disgust. "I don't understand how he even fell for you to begin with. You're a selfish asshole. If you want what's best for him, you should stay away. He thinks he's weak for giving in to talking to you, and it makes him feel bad about himself, yet you don't even give a shit. But now that I think about it, I shouldn't expect you to since you were stupid enough to leave him," he snorted, shaking his head in disbelief.

I could feel my heart twist in my chest. "I know I made a huge mistake that I can't take back, but really, Nick? I know you have feelings for him, but isn't this a step too far? Sure, you care about him, but that doesn't give you the right to come here and attack me. Even if you think Harry shouldn't talk to me, you should let him tell me all this himself."

He just stared at me, his face draining from all its color. "The fuck did you just say? You have no idea what I feel about Harry. I'm doing this because I know it's best for him, because I know he doesn't have it in him to say it himself," he said, his voice faltering as his jaw went slack.