Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Breakfast was very silent the next day. I sneaked a few glances at Harry, trying to notice any signs of tears on his face, but there were none. He looked sad, though, which I took as a sign that my imagination wasn't just playing a trick on me the other night. 

It probably shouldn't, but this fact bugged me because the Harry I had gotten to know the first few days of this journey had not shown any signs of being vulnerable or close to tears. He seemed like the most confident and cold-hearted (to me) man ever, the way he had worn those sunglasses like a diva, and the way he had flirted his way into that pub and got us free drinks from the bar.

What happened to him?

Not that I was particularly sad that persona wasn't there anymore, but I didn't like him being sad either. If he was crying, I wanted to know why. It had always been something my inner self needed so that I could make things better. The thing was, I couldn't ask him about it now, and I shouldn't want to either.

I couldn't keep my eyes off him during the entire breakfast. The only time I broke my stare was when I looked down to see what food I was putting into my mouth. He didn't turn to meet my gaze once. Not that I thought he would, and not that I wanted him to. I just wanted to keep an eye on him.

"We're leaving in half an hour, Louis, since we have to find you some swimming trunks before going to the spa," Perrie informed, nudging me in the side to snap me out of my trance.

I turned to her while letting out a sigh. "Alright. Let's meet in the lobby then, yeah?"

She nodded before getting up from her chair to get rid of her tray. I followed suit, but not before glancing at Harry one more time. He was talking to Nick now, but it still seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else. His eyebrows were pinched together, the crease edged into his features seeming permanent now. He was looking down too, but I could still see his lips moving. Averting my gaze to look ahead of me, I bit my bottom lip, trying my best not to think about the previous night. The truth would hopefully come out soon anyway.

Perrie and I separated once we reached our rooms, and the first thing I decided to do was clean. It seemed like I couldn't visit a single hotel without somehow managing to throw my clothes everywhere. If it weren't for the fact that we were leaving tonight, I probably wouldn't have cared about cleaning, though, but that was beside the point.

I finished five minutes before I had to be in the lobby, so I hurried into the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I emerged from it, I slid my feet into my Vans, then placed my hand on the door handle to exit the room. But before I had time to open it, I heard the sound of someone humming on the other side of the wall.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I let go of the handle and walked over to stand next to the flat screen so that I could hear better.

"What am I now? What am I now? What if I'm someone I don't want around...?"

A knot formed in my stomach at the sound of Harry's angelic voice. Apart from when he had been singing in the shower (more like screaming, to be honest) that night, this was the first time I had heard him sing in two years, and there was something about the way he sang those words that made them feel so emotional.

Could he be talking about the way he had acted the first few days? The persona I had spoken to Anne about, where she said his manager wanted him to be a certain way that he had now gotten used to? And the persona I had possibly added fuel to the fire to?

Swallowing, I retracted from the wall and hurried out of the room, almost running towards the elevator. I just wanted to get away, not even caring that I was rushing just to go shopping.