CHAPTER TWENTY SIX ➳ EVERYONE

AN: This chapter is pretty sad, so keep that in mind.

Song recommendation: 'Hogwarts' March' (I'm sorry I had to lmao).

----

Ellie hadn't realised when she had first entered the arena with Luna and Cedric, but as she turned around after the champions first went off, she spotted the signature head of bleach blonde locks that signified a Malfoy. Sadly, this wasn't her best friend, instead it was the person she hated the most in the world.

Draco.

Her heart dropped into her stomach, before she ducked, praying that he hadn't spotted her. He was sat on the complete opposite end to her, so it was easy to avoid him, luckily.

She had successfully avoided him since her return last night, but she knew she was bound to come across her abuser sooner or later.

She hoped to god that he wouldn't start anything if he noticed her in the crowds; there were a lot of people around. However, that hadn't stopped him on the night of the Yule Ball. Ellie sighed at the memory, it had haunted her ever since. From the physical and emotional pain it's caused, but also due to the fact that it was the first time she had seen Fred truly angry, and it had terrified her.

That was the first time she doubted Fred, as much as she hated to admit it. She loved him, and she trusted him, yet that instance had made her feel like if he was provoked, he could snap again.

The thought was stupid, and she knew that. The boy was protecting her, fighting for her against someone who had destroyed her. She should have been grateful, and she knew that.

Ellie sighed, trying her best to push all of the thoughts of the two boys out of her head so she could focus on what truly mattered right now, the challenge.

The champions had been in the maze for a while, and the witches and wizards sat in the stands were beginning to lose interest. Despite the hype of the challenges, there wasn't really much to see, as the competitors were all hidden in the winding paths of the tall maze.

Despite the lack of visible action, Saffron was feeling nothing but anxiety as adrenaline constantly bumped through her body. It was quiet, eerily quiet as the crowd watched the maze, hoping for a small glimpse of action, or a small sound to let them know the champions were still going. But, the maze spanned so much land that even if the champions were to scream, they wouldn't be able to be heard by the audience. This was extremely distressing for Saffron, knowing that Cedric could be crying for help at this very moment, yet nobody would be able to hear it.

As if on queue, Saffron's heart stopped as she saw red sparks fly up into the air from the middle of the maze.

Should, at any point, a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wand.

The words of Dumbledore haunted Saffron in that moment, running through her head in a loop. Withdraw? Who's withdrawing?

Half of her hopes that Cedric is the one withdrawing; she hopes he's realised that he doesn't need to win this. She knows this is ridiculous, if Cedric was the one withdrawing, it wouldn't be without being harmed, which makes her worry more than she ever had before.

Suddenly, it all gets too much for the Slytherin, she feels sick.

The girl bolts out of her seat. George and Rhianna stare in shock as she storms down the stairs and out of the arena. Her head is swarmed with intrusive thoughts, and she couldn't handle sitting there waiting for any longer.