CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN ➳ SAFFRON

Song recommendation: 'Ghosting' by Mother Mother

----

Ever since Fred had dragged Ellie away from her friend on the floor, she hadn't said a word.

She didn't greet people when they came to check on her, didn't respond to questions... nothing.

All she had done in the 48 hours was sleep and cry, not even bothering to try to eat. Her friends were also struggling a lot, the whole atmosphere of Hogwarts being too sad for most of the students to bear. Rhianna had been extremely weepy through the week, to the point where she had to leave the Great Hall at lunch because she couldn't stop sobbing. Even Fred and George were finding it difficult to cope, their playful nature dying even more than it already had.

And Harry, well he's been extremely quiet. The gang feel especially bad for the boy, seeing as he was the one with Cedric when it happened. The poor kid shouldn't have witnessed that, he was too young to be carrying such a burden.

Ellie and Fred were currently snuggled up under the blankets on Ellie's bed. Despite all the anger that Ellie had felt towards the boy, the situation made it impossible for her to care about the betrayal. All she wanted was support, and for someone she loved to hold her when she cried. Fred was also grateful to have the support in such a challenging time, however he couldn't be too happy, as although he could now be physically close to her, the girl he loved wasn't truly with him.

"Hey El, w-wanna go to the Great Hall? It's Cedric's memorial today." Fred muttered quietly to the girl who was wrapped up in his arms, looking down at her as she rested on his chest.

The girl didn't reply, instead just carrying on staring at the wall to the side of the bed. It was as if she was incapable of hearing the words that left Fred's lips, and it was truly terrifying for him.

"Ellie please, talk to me-" Fred whispered, his voice breaking as tears flooded his eyes. "This is hard as it is but please love, give me something."

Ellie hesitantly sat up, with Fred following her quickly. She looked into his eyes, seeing the pain that was rooted deep. She instantly felt guilty, as she lifted up her small fingers to gently wipe the boy's tears. Cedric may have been a brother to her, but he was still one of Fred's friends, and she couldn't overlook that.

"I-I'm sorry Freddie-" Ellie says extremely quietly, the sincerity of her voice noticeable to the boy.

He says nothing in return, simply taking her hand off his cheek, and raising it up to his lips, pressing a soft kiss to her knuckles.

"-I want to go., I-I want to say..." Ellie mutters, making Fred nod slightly, waiting for her to continue "goodbye" Ellie finishes, voice cracking slightly.

Fred sighs, knowing that this wasn't going to be a pleasant experience. Regardless, he takes a deep breath, before standing up, grabbing her hands and dragging her out of bed with him.

Ellie looked rough, with her knotted hair and baggy clothes. This is the first time that Fred had gotten a good look at her in weeks, and it was then that he realised just how much she had changed. She was so much skinnier than he had even seen her before. The girl used to be a lot healthier looking, with colour in her chubby cheeks. However, her face looked hollow and pale.

"I'll go get changed, meet me outside your common room and I'll walk you down ok."

Ellie nods softly, before watching him go.

The girl got into her uniform, for the first time in a while, noticing how the once tight waistband of her skirt was now gaping around her slim stomach, and she sighed.