Adjustments

Elias

I can't believe my parents want me to accept Conner staying here. Are they on crack? I swear they're smoking something.

My dad knocked on my door as I looked at him. He came into my bedroom. "Look, I get you don't like Conner, but I doubt he wants to be here as much as you want him here."

"Conner stole my girlfriend and picked fights with me. Yeah, I don't like him," I said.

"Okay, then realize not everyone has the living family you have. Do you know your mom went through hell with her dad?"

I looked at my dad with confusion. "Grandpa isn't like that," I said, defending my grandfather.

"Not when you were growing up, but yes, he was. He dislocated your mom's shoulder because of my family."

I furrowed my brows.

"Your mom forgave him. I'm not saying you become best friends with Conner, but give him a break," dad reasoned.

"Fine, but if he pulls any shit, I'll beat the hell out of him," I reasoned.

"Fair enough," Dad said.

I'll let my family deal with Conner. I have better things to do with my time, like spending it with Tori.

******
Deacon

Nate pushed in a rollaway bed for Conner to sleep on. I watched mom put clean sheets on with a blanket and pillow. I stood there, feeling annoyed. After Nate and mom left my room, I found myself alone with Conner.

Conner glanced at me.

"Are you pulling a stunt on us? Trying to gain our trust, then your family shows up," I said. I know I sounded like an asshole but could you blame me?

"I'm going to go. It's obvious you and Elias don't want me here," Conner said. He grabbed his bag and started for the door when I caught him. Not sure what happened next, but the shit hit the fan.

"Don't touch me!" Conner screeched, yanking his arm away.

I stood there, stunned.

"Why does everyone have to touch me? Why can't anyone leave me alone?" Conner screamed.

Dad ran to my room with my mom and brothers right behind him. They stopped as Conner stood there, losing it.

"Be a man! You didn't fight enough! What is wrong with you? You're nothing but a pussy! Real men fight! Cowards run! You're nothing but a worthless piece of shit!" Conner ranted.

What he said next shocked us.

"I refused to have a son who's a fag!" Conner shouted.

I looked at Conner's face as he broke, dropping to his knees and crying. He put his face on the floor and covered the back of his head as he sobbed. Dad crept towards him and knelt, giving his back a gentle rub as Conner wailed.

We spent so much time fighting with the Wilson brothers and not trusting them. We didn't see the truth. I looked at my brothers as they stood there silent, especially Nate.

Mom waved to me, and I moved past Dad and Conner as we left the bedroom. She closed the door. We stood in the hallway

"Conner needs space," Mom said, maintaining her composure.

Elias wrapped his arms around her as Nate, and I followed suit. You don't realize how lucky you are until you see what other people deal with in their lives. Yeah, we're rambunctious, but our parents love and accept us.