Graduation

Tori

After prom, we managed to get through the finals. Thank God. Finishing high school relieved me but terrified me too. You leave your childhood behind and become a responsible adult.

"Stop it, Elias!"

I squealed as Elias tickled me while sitting on me. Did I mention you become a responsible adult? Yeah, I lied.

Elias pinned my wrists to the bed and leaned down to kiss me. Since I had commencement practices in the morning, my evenings are free to make out with my fiancé. The word fiancé is still weird to me.

Elias climbed off of me and laid down on the bed. I stared at the ceiling, sighing.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Tomorrow, I graduate high school. This fall, I will attend college while planning our wedding."

We looked at each other and laughed. Yeah, okay. We aren't planning shit. Our mothers took the helm with wedding planning. Our fathers groaned because they're paying for our wedding.

"While you attend school, it gives me time to build our house," he said.

I glanced at Elias.

"I can't bring my wife home to a field. Mrs. Harper, welcome to a dirt pile. Isn't it lovely?" Elias asked.

I laughed as Elias chuckled.

"I'm sure whatever house you build will suit us," I said.

"I drafted plans for the house for what we want. You're not the person who wants fancy, and I want a room. I'm combining our likes with the house."

"Whatever house you design will be worth it. I'm not worried."

Elias wouldn't build a house that we hated. I trust him. Then again, you never know.

*****
The next morning, I got up and came downstairs to eat breakfast. It felt weird not getting up for school. Plus, I'm graduating this evening.

I sat down at the table as Mom brought me a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast. She joined me as I ate my breakfast.

"Are you excited for tonight?" Mom asked.

"It's weird. I spent four years wanting to leave a place, and now, I'm entering adulthood. It seems surreal."

"Tori, we all experience the same emotions when we reach a part of our life that we'll leave. Life brings experiences and lessons to people. We adapt and grow, or we become stagnant."

"I know, but the thought is scary. I expected to train as an electrician. Then I received an opportunity to write. What if people hate what I write?"

"A few people won't enjoy your writing, but more people will love it. The people who enjoy what you write matter more than the people who don't. It's perception and taste."

I glanced at Mom as I ate my breakfast. She's right. Bradley downgraded my writing, whereas Elias boasted it. My nerves are getting to me.

After breakfast, I spent the day lounging around the house. I had to get ready for a dinner that the school is providing for the seniors. The school will hold commencements following the dinner. Can't we graduate?

*******
Deacon

Tori rode with Gia and me to the school. We're having dinner then having commencements outside on the football field. Leave it to school to keep the cost down.

I pulled into the parking lot, and we got out, meeting with Oliver and the psycho twins. The six of us strolled into the school, finding a table in the cafeteria.