Prom

Tori

Prom arrived, and the seniors had gone crazy with the theme. You're wondering what our prom theme is. Someone came up with the idea of The Heart Wants What The Heart Wants. That someone is my English teacher Mr. Gray. The Gray Family-sponsored our prom, providing the food.

I didn't mind since The Gray Brothers' Bakery makes delicious food. At least, no one will get food poisoning. I heard horror stories from previous classes.

Gia and I shopped for dresses. We searched the racks, finding dresses. We tried on different ones, emerging from the dressing room. We gave head or hand gestures. After twenty dresses later, I found one.

As we shopped, the boys found suits.

******
Elias

I got lucky to take my brother and cousins shopping for suits. Remind me to thank Dad and our cousins later. I picked a black suit with a white dress shirt. Deacon selected navy blue.

The psycho twins picked leisure suits. They emerged from the dressing room.

"What the hell are you wearing?" Oliver asked.

"Style, man," Kayden said.

"You suck at style. Get back into the dressing room," Oliver said.

"You have no flair," Jayden told Oliver.

"And you're an idiot. No one wears that shit. Find another suit," Oliver countered.

I shook my head. Shopping with the cousins is always a treat. They argue and fight while I wait.

The psycho twins found a respectable suit after Oliver yelled at them. Deacon and I bought our suits, waiting on their stupid asses. How difficult is it to buy a suit?

"Didn't you daddies teach you style?" Deacon asked.

"Have you met our daddies?" Jayden asked.

"Our dads don't have a clue to style," Kayden said.

"Because someone is gay, doesn't mean the person has style. You would know this if you stop using stereotypes," Oliver told Deacon.

"Stereotypes have nothing to do with someone's sexuality. Markus knows how to dress. For someone who prides themselves on intelligence, you lack it," Deacon told Oliver.

"Intelligence has nothing to do with our dads' style. They have no style," Kayden said.

"Tis true," Jayden said.

"Who cares? All of you argue about the stupidest shit. Now, let's go home and get ready for tonight," I ordered.

My brother and cousins bickered to the car. I turned off my hearing aids so that I didn't listen to them. One perk about my deafness, without my hearing aids, silence is golden.

******
Tori

Gia and I hung out until we got ready for prom. I showered, shaved, and dressed. We did each other's makeup and hair. Someone tapped on the door as they opened my door. We glanced at Mom, grabbing our purses.

We came downstairs as Elias and Deacon waited for us. I walked over to Elias, and he glanced at my converse. "Nice shoes," he mentioned while grinning.

"Who says prom requires a girl to wear dress shoes?"

Elias chuckled as we left for prom. I didn't care what people thought about my shoes. They matched my dress.

Elias pulled into the parking lot of the reception hall. We got out of the car. He took my hand, leading me into the hall. The hall had tables and chairs set up for the junior and senior classes. Hearts dangled from the ceiling as red and white balloons adorned the tables. A huge banner with The Heart Wants What The Heart Wants draping from the top.

I dragged Elias to the dessert table, which cupcakes, brownies, and cheesecake. A guy brought a tray with more sweet treats.

"Hey, Pax," Elias greeted the guy.

"Hey, Elias," Pax greeted Elias. He looked at me. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah, the donuts helped," I said, smiling. Pat returned the smile.

Mr. Gray walked over and grabbed a cupcake from the table. Pax smacked him.

"What the hell, Pax?" Mr. Gray huffed.

"Stay out of the desserts, you tool," Pax huffed.

"Bite me," Mr. Gray snapped.

"Nah, I bite nothing that looks that bad," Pat retorted.

"Having a twin is so much fun," Mr. Gray grumbled.

Elias and I laughed as he led me away from the dessert table. We found the table with everyone and sat down. As classmates found a table, we talked.

After people arrived and sat down at the tables, Mr. Gray made his way to the front. He picked up a microphone as everyone became quiet.

"Good evening, senior and junior class. Prom is a time honor tradition of high school. After the past few years of kids getting food poisoning, I asked my family to cater to your prom. Please give a round of applause for The Gray Brothers' Bakery," Mr. Gray announced.

We clapped.

"The senior class felt the theme fit this year. Without further ado, enjoy yourselves."

Mr. Gray set the microphone down as the DJ played music. I glanced around at everyone laughing and talking. I can't believe I'm at my senior prom with Elias. This year brought many changes to me.

"What are you thinking about?" Elias asked me.

"I never thought I would be here with you or date you. We're engaged," I mentioned.

"Yes, we are, but we fell in love with each other."

"The idea of us together blows my mind. I had the biggest crush on you while growing up. Now, I'm with you. Doesn't it seem surreal?"

"My uncle Noah had a saying. The heart wants what the heart wants. He believed when it came to the heart. Age doesn't matter. Your heart leads the way."

I gazed at Elias while smiling. "I love that idea."

"I do, too."

Elias and I had a unique friendship while growing up. We saw each other for us. Our friendship blossomed into romance, finding love along the way. Our hearts led us to each other.

People served dinner to us. I took a bite of my food which is delicious. Well, the food doesn't suck. That's a plus.

*******
Oliver

I ate dinner as the staff cleared plates. The DJ played music as people got up to dance. Even the psycho twins found two poor girls to dance with them. Good luck, girls. You'll need it.

I finished my food as Pat strolled over and sat down next to me.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"I hear through the grapevine, you enjoy a good bet," Pat said, arching an eyebrow.

"I cannot tell a lie. I accept bets from suckers."

"Oliver, college differs from high school. If you don't knock your bookie ways off, someone will knock you off."

"Pat, I'm half Harper/half Gray with Shaw and Jones blood. College doesn't worry me." I shrugged.

Pat shook his head. I don't understand why people have an issue with what I do. My family worries about my dating life, being a bookie and becoming an ordained minister. People worry too much about what I'm doing and not enough about themselves.

First, I haven't met someone who intrigues me. Second, I'm making money. Third, I will atone for my sins. I have all my bases covered.

The problem with covering your bases, other people have other plans. College would bring changes to my life, including an unexpected person. Unexpected events will drag family and friends into my issues, pulling my ass out of the fire. As they say, expect the unexpected.