Telling the folks

Tori

"You did what?" Dad yelled.

Elias and I sat on my couch as our parents stood in front of us.

"We let you go to Florida, and you come back engaged. Explain the missing steps because I'm missing them," Matt said with one arm crossed while gesturing with his other hand.

"Do you realize how long we waited for your engagement, and you cut us out?" Nora questioned.

Dad and Matt looked at Nora as she pouted.

"Do you mind?" Matt asked Nora.

"We waited years for this moment," Nora told Matt while gesturing to Mom.

Okay, you're confused. Let me backtrack a bit. We came home from Florida after enjoying a week at Universal Studios. Our brothers thought they would be helpful and drop the news on our parents about our engagement. Our brothers are idiots.

First, an engagement doesn't mean we're eloping or getting married in two months. It's a step towards marriage but not marriage. What point don't people get with an engagement?

Second, I have a college in the fall, along with my internship at the paper. Elias and Owen are gaining new clients, which means opening their construction firm. Time is critical with our plans.

Third, no, I'm not knocked up. Yeah, our parents assumed pregnancy with us. Not everyone gets pregnant when they have sex. Unless you forget protection, then you're dumb.

After much yelling, our parents spoke while we listened. Now we're back to our present time on the couch while said parents hashed out our engagement with each other. Did they forget we're still sitting on the couch?

"Nora and I had planned for the day when Elias proposed to Tori," Mom mentioned.

It's disturbing that our mothers had planned our future together. Doesn't anyone see a problem here?

"What do you mean you planned their proposal?" Dad asked.

"Well," Mom said.

"It's not like we planned everything," Nora added.

"What else?" Matt questioned.

Our parents argued as Elias, and I sat there. Elias whistled as they stopped. He stood as I sat on the couch.

"I proposed to Tori on spring break. It doesn't mean that we're running off and eloping. She's attending college in the fall. We figure we would wait until she graduates college to get married. I want guys to know she belongs with me," Elias told our parents.

"And you can't wait until Tori graduates to tell guys she belongs with you?" Matt asked.

"No, because I love her," Elias answered.

I sat on the couch, observing everyone's expressions.

"Tori's young," Matt reasoned.

"So?"

"Most people experience life before settling down,"
Matt said.

"Uh, if you forgot, we got married five months after reconnecting," Nora mentioned.

Matt squinted his eyes at Nora as she looked at him.

"That was after years of miss chances with each other," Matt said.

"Who's fault was that?"

Matt's face contorted in annoyance.

I stood and looked at everyone. "Elias asked me to marry him. I accepted. You'll have a few years to plan our wedding," I said, then walked away.

Our dads did a double-take as our moms screamed. Elias laughed.

"God, I love that woman," Elias said, going after me.

******
Elias

I found Tori in the kitchen, getting two cans of pop out of the fridge. She handed me one as I took it. I popped the top and sipped the drink.

"I don't understand why our engagement is a big deal. We have known each other for years," Tori said.

"Our parents don't want us to rush into marriage without thinking."

"What is there to think about here? We love each other and are best friends."

"I know, but people suspect there's more than our reasons."

Tori leaned against the counter, drinking her pop. I set my pop can on the counter, creeping towards her. I wrapped my arms around her waist and held her.

"I don't regret asking you. I can wait until you graduate college to get married."

"Can I wear my converse?" Tori gave me a sideways glance.

I chuckled. You can take the girl out of the tomboy, but you can't take the tomboy out of the girl.

"You can wear whatever the hell you want. I want to hear you say I do."

"Deal." Tori set her pop can down and wrapped her arms around my neck. I leaned in and kissed her. Parents have concerns when their kids get engaged. Our parents didn't have to worry. I wanted to marry my best friend. When you find someone who loves you and shares your tastes, you hold onto them. It's rare to find your soulmate.

******
Tori

Someone cleared their throat as we broke from our kiss. We glanced at our parents, who stood in the doorway of the kitchen. Dad waved his pointer finger. Elias released me as we grabbed our pops and followed them into the dining room. We sat down at the table to talk.

"Okay, I guess we overreacted to your engagement news," Dad said.

"I wouldn't say yes if it weren't right," I said.

Dad looked at me and sighed. "It's hard because I remember this little girl who played in the mud. She would scrape her knee and keep playing. The little girl who rode on my shoulders when we visited the zoo. The same girl who needed me."

"But I always need my dad."

Dad's head snapped up as he stared at me.

"You're the first guy I loved. Gabe doesn't count," I said.

Everyone laughed.

"But I want Elias as the last guy I love," I added.

"Except Elias wouldn't be the last guy," Nora mentioned.

We looked at Nora.

"If you have a son, he's the last guy you love," Nora said, looking at Elias.

"If we have children and they're boys, Elias and our sons would be the last guys I would love," I reasoned.

I didn't know if we would have children. It's not as if you can plan children. I doubt I would have boys when I have kids. If we had a boy and a girl, then I'm good. Plus, what are the chances of having only sons in a family?

"Okay. We give you our blessing if you wait until Tori finishes college," Matt said.

"We can wait," Elias said.

Elias and I looked at each other. Smiles curled upon our lips as he leaned over and captured my lips. I cupped his face as I kissed him back. One day, I would marry this man.