Halloween with the Harpers

Tori

The doctor removed the stitches, leaving me with two scars. Most people wouldn't like having scars. I'm not most people. I view it as surviving a horrible experience and a reminder not to stay quiet.

My parents took me to a therapist to get help. They wanted to make sure no psychological damage happened. Did they forget we live next door to the Harpers?

To cheer me up, Elias planned a costume party at his house. Do we need to have a party on Halloween? Can't we watch movies or something? I'm good with a low critical celebration.

Gia and I shopped for costumes, dragging my brother with us. I know what you're thinking. Oh, damn, Gia and Gabe in the same place. The shit will hit the fan. No, it's not like that with them. Yes, they broke up, but Gabe is my brother, and Gia is my best friend.

We searched through the racks for costumes.

"How's therapy going?" Gia asked, looking for a costume.

"It's boring. I discuss my relationships and what happened. My parents don't want me to crack up and thought therapy would help," I answered, pulling out a costume.

"What do you guys think?" Gabe asked, dressed in a suit.

Gia and I gave him a strange look.

"It's a costume party, not a business meeting. Why a suit?" Gia asked.

"I'm going as John Dillinger," Gabe answered while posing.

"You're going as a bank robber? Mom and dad will be so proud," I retorted.

"Nate is going at Baby Face Nelson," Gabe mentioned.

"That doesn't surprise me," Gia mentioned.

I laughed as they stopped and looked at me.

"What? It was funny," I said, rolling my eyes.

"No, it's not that. It's nice to hear you laugh," Gabe mentioned.

I stared at them, knowing what Gabe meant. I haven't laughed much since Tim attacked me. My therapist said it would take time after a traumatic event.

I found a genie costume to wear. Gia found a batgirl costume. We checked out, then stopped at the bakery. I walked in and made and beeline to the glass cases, looking at the pastries-so many delicious items to choose from inside the case.

"Did you find something you like?" I heard someone ask.

I glanced up to see Paxton Gray. I'm learning who each person is in Elias's family. This family is enormous.

Paxton leaned on the top of the case with his fingers interlocked.

"I never know what to pick. Everything looks delicious," I mentioned.

"I'm partial to muffins and donuts. You can never go wrong with either," Pax reasoned.

"How do you choose? You have so many varieties."

"That's true. But the classics never go out. Take the glazed donut, for example. It's sweet enough without being overpowering. Plus, you can't eat only one. It's simple without wondering what you're getting."

"I take it. You love donuts." I looked at Pax as he smiled.

"Yeah, I do. Plus, it looks like you need something to cheer you up." Pax glanced at my hand with the scar.

"Yeah, I had a rough few weeks." I sighed.

"Give me a minute," he said, opening a case.

I stood there, watching Pax grab a box, then tissue paper. He opened the case and started putting glazed donuts into a box. Pax put a total of six inside, then closed the lid. He set the box on the counter, then grabbed a cup, pouring coffee into it, adding French vanilla creamer. He set the cup on the counter, then looked at me.