Dealing with life

Nate

After what happened Saturday night, I kept myself busy at the shop. Since the shop is closed on Sunday, I could work on cars without interruptions. I opened the toolbox, grabbed a socket, and sat down on a roller, then rolled underneath the car. I got to work.

I had been working for an hour when I felt hands touch my legs and pull me out. I laid on the roller, looking up to see Dad leaning over me.

"I thought I would find you here," dad mentioned.

"I wanted to get a jump on work," I said, sitting up.

Dad grabbed a crate and set it down, then sat down on it. "Does this have anything to do with last night?"

I didn't answer my dad.

"Nate, I know you're upset, but I know what happens when you have feelings for someone," Dad reasoned.

"It's not that," I said.

My dad looked at me with concern.

"Gabe understands me. He was the first person I came out to and didn't judge me. We're best friends," I explained.

"But you could confuse your friendship with thinking it's romantic," Dad reasoned.

"Gabe kissed me on Saturday night. I was willing to forget the other kiss, but he pursued me," I said.

Dad looked at me, not saying anything. I know people assume I kissed Gabe because I'm selfish, but it's not the reason.

"Okay, what happened?" Dad asked.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. "I had already come out to Gabe. Last week, he said he needed to talk to me. I didn't know anything about it. We went to the park and sat on top of a picnic table. Gabe told me about issues he was having with Gia. It's like something changed in their relationship, but he didn't know what. When I asked what Gabe meant, he said he didn't have an attraction to her or other girls like he thought. Then I kissed him," I explained.

"So you weren't figuring out your feelings for Gabe?" Dad questioned.

"Not at the time, but I felt something in that kiss," I replied with a shrug.

Dad looked at me and sighed.

"I'm not into wrecking someone's relationship with my feelings. I wouldn't want it done to me. That's what Elias missed. The worst part is he thinks I did it for my selfish needs," I said, glancing at Dad.

"It's because Elias has been on the receiving end of someone messing with his relationship. He understands how much it hurts. His tact needs a little work."

I scoffed.

"Nate, I know dealing with your feelings is hard. You meet someone who changes your mind about opening up. It's hard to shut it off when the dam bursts," dad said.

"Is that what happened with mom?" I asked.

"Yeah, it did."

I looked at dad with curiosity.

"I had a girlfriend who had issues. She committed suicide," Dad said, surprising me. "When she died, I felt my world shattered and refused to open myself up to someone again. Then one night at a party, I met your mom. She was the first person to get me to laugh. That night was the first time I opened up to someone, but I also realized it involved another family member," Dad explained.