chapter sixty-five

the death duel

the death duel.

shortly, the death duel was a match between two opponents. each opponent can use their own element to try and take out the other. the duel did not end until one of the two was dead.

some tried to yell out as they were in pain, telling jiyoung not to do it. but she ignored them, accepting hyunjoon's challenge.

hyunjoon released everyone after making it clear that he could not be touched before the duel took place. everyone complied, seeing it as only fair since jiyoung agreed.

they found their way to the middle of the courtyard. it was big, larger than that of a soccer field. there was a river that ran past the right side.

before the duel, jiyoung couldn't bring herself to go near any of her friends or jinae. it hurt too much seeing jaemin and if she went up to one of them it also meant she'd be going up to him as well since they were all together.

"start the countdown already," she spat with fire at hyunjoon. her throat was dry and scratchy as she spoke, small pieces of her hair falling out of the loose ponytail.

his lips curled upward into a faint smile as he began counting down from three. as soon as he reached one, it was off.

jiyoung waited for hyunjoon to throw the first action. he did so without question, using water and sending ice blocks through the air in jiyoung's direction.

she no longer had her glider with her. it was not permitted in the fight. hyunjoon saw this to his advantage.

that was until jiyoung's lips formed a smirk, hands outstretched towards the blocks coming her way. just like that, they had been turned to water with a crunch of her hands. she guided the water with her hands, sending it back towards hyunjoon. he hadn't expected it, his body becoming drenched.

hyunjoon stood flabbergasted for a second, making jiyoung's eyes pierce him as she let out a mocking laugh.

"you really didn't think those experiments you've been running on me for years didn't have any effect? thought you were smarter." she smiled at him.

he huffed unhappily and hovered his hand over the ground. the grass beneath them turned dark as he sucked the water from the ground and turned it to ice, sliding his way towards jiyoung with his body at a angle as he rode the ice like a surfer on a board.

more water was pulled from the river as he turned it into a line in his hand. he tried using it as a whip, swinging it in jiyoung's direction.

she just barely managed to dodge the slashes and let out puffs of air through her palms, sending her into the air.

"did you know she was a water bender too?" renjun asked jaemin with wide eyes, never having heard of someone who could use two different elements.