chapter sixteen

"minji!" a voice cried out in agony

it sounded like a teenage girls voice from its high pitch and lack of raspiness.

the girl's legs quivered in their place. her knees almost giving out if it weren't for the looming figure of another person raising over her smaller size.

"get up!" the voice shouted, causing the baby in the corner of the room to begin crying harder than she was previously.

the girl stayed in her spot, her lips pressed together in a straight line in an attempt to cease her loud sobs.

her eyes drifted to the right of the room to see her boyfriend, soon husband, kneeling down in front of another woman with a gun pointed to his head. the person holding it having a devilish smirk plastered on their face.

"i said get up!" the person in front of her bluntly stated, slashing through the air and infiltrating the sobbing mother's ears.

she did as told of the stranger and without any hesitation or second thoughts, he slapped her across the face- leaving a red mark on her face as the sound of the impact echoed through the room with the baby's screams.

"no, get away from her, you mon-" her boyfriend's voice was cut off with a sharp and immediate bang.

his body dropped to the ground with a harsh thud as blood began to create a pool around his body.

the woman that had shot him through the head didn't spare a glance at the dead body before walking over to the screaming child's bassinet.

"oh, what a cute bonnet." the woman cooed as if she didn't just shoot a man dead.

her hand holding the gun drifted to her side as she put it inside a holster. she used both of her cold hands to reach in for the baby.

but in a split second, another bullet shot through the air and right through her chest, sending her flying into the parent's bed with blood splattered everywhere.

"fucking hell," the man muttered to himself, pushing the mother down to the floor and rushing over to the baby.

"no!! no!!" her terrified and agonizing screams echoed. she watched, helpless as the ropes tied against her ankles and wrists prevented her from moving too much.

the man paid no attention to her, successfully taking the baby while also managing to not get hit by any bullets raining around him.

the poor teenager watched everything happen as if it was in slow motion playing before her eyes.

bullet after bullet raining one by one after a man with her only living daughter at hand as he climbed off of the balcony and ran away, out of sight.

the security guards piled into the room after finally getting the door unlocked- finding the man's dead body and a completely silent, broken woman on the floor with no baby in the crib.

this would lead to one of the biggest catastrophes the united republic had ever seen.

jiyoung woke up in a cold sweat, her body hovering as she breathed in and out as if she just finished a one hundred-mile run.

she recognized one of the voices, but not the other. one of the male's voices.

and she was hoping to god it wasn't the person she thought it was.

someone's breath
that heavy breathing
how can i see through that
though i can't understand your breath

breathe, lee hi

this is like a super short chapter but that's only because i wanted it to focus primarily on the memory :)