chapter five

it felt like she crashed into a wall

"ouch," she groaned out lowly, rubbing the back of her head that had come into contact with the ground.

the person in front of her was in an equal amount of pain, their own groan escaping their lips.

quickly, two of the staff members that were present in the office at the moment had come to their aid, helping them both into the waiting chairs sitting against the glass windows.

after making sure each of them were okay, the grown-ups left. one of the ladies came back with two ice packs for two, which they took, gratefully.

jiyoung had to remove the bucket hat in order to place the ice pack on the back of her head but that wasn't before she internally panicked thinking about her possible hat hair.

thankfully after removing the hat she was happy to know it was still in its normal straight and fluffy form.

"sorry about that, i should have been watching where i was going," the person next to jiyoung spoke suddenly, causing her to turn her head.

maybe a bit too fast, as she immediately felt regret wash over her along with a stinging sensation that made her want to pass out then and there.

"i-it's okay. i didn't really know where i was going either," she brushed it off, smiling sweetly.

"oh, are you new here?"

jiyoung nodded slowly, her head still throbbing a bit.

"yeah, i just moved here from..." she paused, unsure of if she should tell the random person about her real home or make up something, "the water tribe down in jeju."

"that's cool! i've always lived in the republic. i'm nayeon, by the way." the girl smiled, a small dimple forming on her right cheek.

how cute.

"jiyoung. it's nice to meet you, nayeon."

the sound of footsteps brought both of their eyes away from each other and to the person in question. "are you ong jiyoung?" an older lady asked.

her breath was minty and somehow matched with her long, gray hair flowing nicely down her back over the pretty dark blue dress that went beautifully with her crystal green eyes.

the girl nodded a bit quickly and stood up, her white backpack immediately flinging over her right shoulder.

"here is your schedule and other important information you may need. if you have any questions later you can ask your teachers or come down here and i can help assist you."

the old woman's eyes shifted from jiyoung to nayeon, who was watching closely- about to leave for her own class now that the headache had calmed down.

"ah, nayeon! will you please help jiyoung find her classes for me, dear?"

nayeon smiled and nodded politely, walking over to the place where the older lady stood before she had begun walking away.

"we're in the same classroom, that's great! but none of my friends are in that class so hopefully, i'll be able to introduce them to you later."

"for the love of god please stop throwing the orange around," jeno groaned in annoyance, catching the orange fruit mid-air and putting it on his lunch tray

donghyuck and chenle pouted at the lack of entertainment but didn't try anything else to somehow work up jeno.

"did i miss something?" nayeon's voice asked humorously, taking a seat beside jeno.

practically automatically his head fell to the left, harshly hitting nayeon's right shoulder. she sat still, unfazed by the normal routine.

"just donghyuck hyung and chenle being dumb again," jisung shrugged as he tried to take a bite of his rice, only to nearly choke when donghyuck slapped the back of his head.

"hey, be careful!" nayeon scolded the long-haired boy, making sure to smack his right arm.

donghyuck tried to look unfazed but his pain shined through, making his friends laugh. jeno's laugh quietly came to an end, a smile still on his face as he looked up at nayeon.

"how was your day, sweetheart?" he asked endearingly, an arm making its way around the girl's waist to pull her in close for warmth.

nayeon smiled as she swallowed her food, the rest of the table waiting patiently for their motherly friend to tell them about her day. it was practically routine by now and afterward, they would each talk about their own as well.

"honestly, it didn't start off very well. i had a headache and went to the office for some medicine but when i was leaving i bumped into this girl. we fell and our heads started hurting so they gave us ice packs but i apologized and we introduced ourselves." she rambled, taking a bite of her food every few seconds.

"turns out she's new and we're in the same class together so i got to help her out a lot too. she's very adorable. the rest of the day went by as normal up until now." nayeon finished, taking a drink of her water.

"we have a new student? where is she?" mark asked excitedly, beginning to look around to find an unfamiliar face.

nayeon peered past him to also look for the now-familiar girl, "i asked if she wanted me to walk her to the lunch room but she said not to wait up since she was gonna head to the bathroom."

a few of their eyes glanced back and forth to find the mysterious girl, none of them saying a word until nayeon broke out into a grin once finding the familiar bucket hat thanking one of the lunch ladies for the food.

"jiyoung!"

my mouth opens, now i grasp the mood
i hope our attitude is always do or die
it's been a minute, i'm in it, i already win
i feel and keep my motto without the business
misfit, never fit in

misfit, nct

nayeon seems sweet, hmmm?