chapter fifty-five

"have any of you seen jiyoung?"

nayeon sat down at the lunch table, confused as to why she hadn't seen or gotten a text from her best friend all day.

the guys all shook their heads no, having not known about the girl's absence until now.

"have you tried texting her today?" she asked jaemin, picking up her chopsticks.

jaemin nodded with drawn eyebrows, worry boiling inside of his chest. "i thought she had just been so busy this morning she hadn't gotten a chance to reply yet. she hasn't texted you either?"

nayeon shook her head, "nothing. all of her social media's say she was last active over a day ago."

the group looked around at one another, unsure of what was going on.

mark tried to calm everyone- specifically the cousins- down, "maybe she's just sleeping in? she might have had a rough night or something. we shouldn't get too worked up."

jaemin shook his head, "no, no. something feels wrong. i can feel it. she wouldn't just disappear like this. she's never done this before."

the others nodded. "somethings off, i can sense it too." jisung said, putting down his utensils.

"look, why don't we go drive by her house or something after school and check if her car is there or not if she doesn't come back by the end of the day." jeno suggested, trying to stay as calm as possible.

there was a sense of uneasiness at the lunch table of eight, none of them knowing what exactly it was. something was brewing and they were all afraid the pot was about to tip over. soon.

no one could put their hand on what was happening and actually understand or comprehend what it was. jiyoung missing today was not anything like her. especially without any traces of texts or calls.

"i'm gonna go try and call her again," jaemin finally said, standing up to walk away.

jeno reached to make him stay at the table but nayeon stopped him. "just let him try, maybe she'll answer for him," she whispered hopefully.

jaemin walked away from the table with everyone else watching after him, unsure of if jiyoung would pick up or not.

"please pick up," he muttered under his breath, tapping his foot with impatience.

nothing.
he called again.
nothing.
voicemail. voicemail. voicemail.

he shook his head and walked back to the others, taking a seat once again but not even looking at his food, "nothing. i called like five times."

"we can drive by her house later, okay? for right now you just need to calm down, alright?" jeno reasoned.

throughout the rest of the day, each of them were more stressed and fidgety than their usual selves. they had excuses though but no one cared enough to actually ask.

when the final bell rang they raced outside and left together, following jeno's car closely since nayeon was riding with him and they were the only two that had actually been to her house.

when his car finally stopped outside of an unfamiliar house, their hearts dropped. there were no cars in the driveway and the blinds were closed with the look of curtains draped behind them, no light going inside the house or coming out.

i'm still dreaming with you
call me my name
yet again
burn burn burn burn burn

deja vu, nct dream

disclaimer: some of these chapters may start to waver from shorter than usual to longer than usual

gonna start updating the second chapter of the day later. so like i'll probably posting around this time rn and in nine more hours :D