chapter fifteen

another weekend passed by in a flash and soon enough they had to return back to school

another weekend passed by in a flash and soon enough they had to return back to school. no matter how long she went to school, her body would never like getting up so early in the morning.

"so how's living in the republic been treating you?" nayeon asked, placing her books down on her desk and then taking a seat.

jiyoung shifted in her seat to get more comfortable, the satisfying sound of her back cracking being heard momentarily.

"honestly..." she trailed off- grabbing her own books for their first class.

nayeon stopped moving and stared at the younger girl, afraid that the next words jiyoung would speak wouldn't be good.

"for the past month everything's felt very," she paused, "different. you know, new classes, new friends, new enemies."

there was a sour taste in her mouth when she thought about her newly found enemies. she hadn't ever had one before but practically as soon as she moved here there were already two people that acted like they hated her guts.

nayeon laughed softly, "i understand what you mean. the people in this city can be very judgmental. honestly, i'm a bit surprised you don't have more enemies."

jiyoung chuckled, "and why is that?"

"because you're literally like the smartest person here and like one of the prettiest too!"

jiyoung covered her face, bashful. "dude, stop with the compliments, please."

"fine, fine." nayeon giggled. "but really, don't mind soojin. honestly, no one at this school really likes her. she only has two friends but the only reason they stick with her is because they're too afraid to leave."

jiyoung nodded, makes sense.

"but what about jaemin?"

nayeon continued scrolling through her instagram without batting an eyelid, "what about him?"

"why is he so... mean to me. like really, i want to be friends but every time i try to be nice, he manages to push me away in some way possible."

nayeon pondered for a second over the question. she really couldn't understand why he was like that to jiyoung.

jaemin had never once in his life ever acted that way to anyone before becoming a couple with soojin. but in all honesty, she couldn't remember jaemin ever even having a crush on soojin.

they just became a couple one day. she couldn't remember what day but she knew it was random and she didn't care to think too much about it.

"i'm sorry for the way he treats you, jiyoung. really. i don't know what happened to him. he used to be so sweet to everyone and now he's just...cold."

"jaemin? sweet? for some reason i can't even picture it anymore." jiyoung laughed bitterly.

nayeon chuckled, "i know but really, he was. he hated people being mean. we used to go volunteer at different places together but we stopped when he started dating soojin."

"how long have they been together?"

"nearly two years, i think."

"i just want to know why someone who sounds as sweet as jaemin that literally does volunteer work and is close with his family would ever go around dating soojin of all people."

"me too. a lot of people assumed it's because of her status here but i don't believe it. jaemin's dad is on the council too so it wouldn't even benefit him in any way, shape, or form."

jiyoung paused, "her status? what's that supposed to mean?"

"soojin's name is son soojin. i'm surprised you don't already know."

"i try to stay away from her the best i can. but what's so important about her name?"

nayeon closed her phone and turned back to jiyoung, making the younger girl momentarily stop what she was doing and turn to look at nayeon.

"she goes around making sure to tell everyone her mom is son jinae." jiyoung's eyes widened at the mention of the air council[wo]man's name. it couldn't be.

"wait, what? but her eyes are red? i thought she was a fire bender."

"yep. apparently, her dad is a fire master that works with jisungs but every time we've asked mr. park he says he knows no teacher there with the last name of son. apparently, soojin has red eyes but is actually an air bender. she doesn't ever bend, though."

jiyoung gawked at the new information she was receiving from nayeon as if it was basic info, "so do people actually believe her?"

"not completely sure. personally, i don't believe it. only because my mom works there too and doesn't know anybody by that name either. some believe, some don't. simple as that."

"wait another second. your mother works there too? what about your dad?"

nayeon giggled, "yes, my mother works there too, as an earth bender teacher. just not as much since she has to watch after my little brother. my dads a non-bender and works for the education system."

"oh, wow. so i'm guessing you got your bending from your mom?"

"nope. i'm not a bender."

jiyoung was stunned for a second but finally spoke up, "but your eyes? they're literally bright green."

"yep. guess my mom's eye genes were strong. got her eyes but my dad's bending skills. my little brother is the other way around, dark brown eyes with crazy good earth bending skills."

"cute. how old is he?"

"turns seven next month."

"that's adorable. you should let me meet him some time!" jiyoung smiled brightly. she always wanted a younger sibling but obviously, the wish never came true.

nayeon nodded quickly, "definitely. but just a warning, he can be like super clingy."

"it's no problem!"

i have two younger siblings and an older one but it's not as fun as i made it seem in this chapter lmao