chapter twenty-eight

looking around, everything seems dim and gloomy

looking around, everything seems dim and gloomy. rain poured down from the gray skies covered with even darker gray clouds.

water began to rise up from the ground a bit, accentuating the excess rain they had received for the past few days.

the roads were more empty than usual, the entire feeling of the city felt more down than anything else. the street lights flashed from green to red aimlessly, almost no car seen driving back and forth.

kids watched indoors as water droplets slid down their windows slowly, making their own bets with which droplet would reach the bottom first.

trees outside waved back and forth with harsh winds and random gusts sending leaves in different directions across the grounds.

it was eerily silent, one that wasn't peaceful, rather weight holding down on the entirety of the republic as if the days would soon be over.

"you need to calm down, honey."

"calm down," the woman spoke in a tone louder than her normal, "the one man i truly loved on this shithole of a rock was just killed and my daughter was taken as well and you want me to just calm down?"

her mother grew quiet knowing she was in the right. thinking about that happening to her own husband or the daughter sitting in front of her would give her immeasurable heartbreak.

"honey, the winds outside are growing stronger day by day. you need to calm down before anyone else gets hurt."

her daughter took a deep breath, trying to calm the uneasy amount of nerves draining her entire body.

it had been almost three days now since the incident and each day she grew worse and worse. the eye bags under her eyes got darker and darker every night that passed when she didn't see the two loves of her life.

being a teenager or young adult wasn't easy, by any means. but she wasn't the same child from years ago, she was now of adult age but had to suffer pain no one of any age should've gone through.

she felt guilt running through her body every time she thought about them but how could she not?

growing up with a tough life wasn't something anyone should have to go through but sometimes it just happens to be inevitable.

but this wasn't just a tough life. this was a life no one with any amount of care for a loved one would want or should ever have to experience.

she just wanted to scream out and let all her worries go at once. she couldn't bare the thought of not having either of them around anymore.

she knew they were out looking for her daughter, putting their blood, sweat, and tears into finding the lost girl.

"you know what this means..." her mother said slowly, rubbing her hand in a circular motion.

her eyes dulled as she stared out the window with no objective to find anything, "yes."

her mother nodded curtly, leaning forward and patting the back of her head slowly as hot tears began running from her eyes and soaked the fabric of her mother's shirt.

uncontrollable sobs left her mouth one after another and her mother held her pressed against her chest closely, the bond between them had never broken.

her eyes darkened, the power inside her body becoming uncomfortable.

"honey, you need to stop thinking of the worst. we suffer more in our imagination than in reality by thinking that things will never get better." her mom spoke softly, feeling emotional herself.

small sniffles came from the girl clinging onto her shirt for any sort of warmth she could receive.

finally, her heart began calming down once again.