20: Double Love pt. 2

Continued from chapter 19: Double Love pt. 1

Jeongyeon seemed to have noticed Taehyung's tongue tied silence, because she quickly excused herself and Jimin, leaving her ex and her best friend to chat privately.

"Good evening, Nayeon-ssi. I am Kim Taehyung, and you're really pretty," He stretched out his hand for a handshake, which Nayeon gladly accepted. She blushed, "I'm Im Nayeon, and I've been your fan since debut. Saranghaeyo." She make a cute but shy finger heart, and Taehyung smiled.

--------------------------------------------

Standing in the shadows, Jeongyeon faintly heard Taehyung say, "you're pretty", and she smiled to herself. Smooth move. Jimin who also heard it, scanned her from head to toe, and said plainly, "You're prettier." He expected Jeongyeon to wave the comment away, like she always did when someone complimented her, but instead, she blushed slightly and thanked him.

"Come," he told her, "Let's dance", and guided her to the dance floor.

Jimin, to fit the romantic and slow occasion of the ball, planned to dance a slow waltz with her, but judging from her frown, Jeongyeon hated waltzes as much as he did. 

It was Jeongyeon's first time seeing Jimin dance, and she was excited, mainly because Jimin was labeled as one the best dancers at school. To be honest, Jeongyeon was also a good dancer herself, but all her hopes of matching up to Jimin immediately faded when he performed a complicated jump with a relaxed smile on his face. He is really good.

The pair danced a tricky modern dance for half an hour, until their feet started to ache from their shoes that were not meant to be danced in. They then went out to the balcony of the ballroom to escape from the heat of the crowd.

Jeongyeon opened her mouth to speak, but she received a nudge from Jimin, and she soon saw why. Standing some way behind her were Taehyung and Nayeon, both holding glasses of wine and deep in conversation. She and Jimin ducked behind a pillar to hear what they were talking about.

----------------------------------

Nayeon, as Jeongyeon had hoped, was very enthusiastic talking to her idol. To be honest, Jeongyeon had expected Taehyung to fake interest, as he did in every fan meeting he had hosted, but to her surprise, he could see happiness, real happiness, reflecting in Taehyung's eyes. Whatever Nayeon had spoken to him about, it seemed to be getting his interest in her. So far, Jeongyeon's plan was going better than she had imagined.

She heard Nayeon say, "...yes, I love to sing and dance too." Jeongyeon facepalmed herself, of all the topics they could have talked about, Nayeon had to talk to Taehyung about work. She was surprised when Taehyung's ears perked up, instead of showing a bored expression as she had expected, "Do you want to pursue a career in entertainment? BigHit needs a passionate and pretty girl like you. It will be a waste if you don't contribute your talent."

Jeongyeon suddenly felt fear inside her. That was exactly how he had lost me. By practically forcing me into a career I do not want to be in. Please don't let all my efforts go wasted when she declines his offer and makes him disappointed once more. Thinking of it, Jeongyeon didn't even know that Nayeon liked to perform. Maybe they weren't as close as they thought they were. 

To her surprise, Nayeon told Taehyung, "Sure. I've always wanted to be an entertainer since I was a kid." Taehyung promised that he would talk to the company for her, and they exchanged numbers. During the entire process, Jeongyeon saw Nayeon's love, real love, and not just an idol-fan love, for Taehyung in her eyes.

--------------------------------------

Jeongyeon's fingers were turning numb from standing motionless for so long, and she was planning to leave their budding romance in peace, when she heard Taehyung ask, "Nayeon-ssi, do you believe in love at first sight?" To Jeongyeon, he was laying it pretty thick, but Nayeon didn't seem to notice.

Nayeon answered him, deep in thought," Yes, of course I do. But it's hard to find someone who can make your heart beat a thousand times faster and makes you the happiest person on earth at first sight." Like how I'm feeling for you right now.

"That makes sense," Taehyung nodded thoughtfully, "Though in my entire life, I've only felt love at first sight for one girl. One girl only." "She must be a special girl then," Nayeon answered disappointedly, because he was talking about another girl in front of her, when he clearly saw her growing love for him, "Jeongyeon?"

"No, not Jeongyeon," Taehyung looked into Nayeon's eyes unflinchingly, "You."