14: Jealousy pt. 2

(BORING CHAPTER ALERT)

Continued from chapter 13: Jealousy pt. 1

Seeing them intertwined with an unbreakable bond of love made Nayeon's heart fill with even more jealousy. A part of her hated Jeongyeon, even after their decade of friendship, that she was the one in love, not herself.

---------------------------------------------

"Nayeon unnie, are you jealous?" Mina gently whispered. She was slowly losing her broken attitude and was transforming back into her original self, observant and caring. She, following Nayeon's line of sight, looked up at the rooftop and saw Jimin kissing Jeongyeon, but surprisingly, her heart didn't ache for him so badly than it would have a day ago.

Mina had really changed and learnt to move on.

------------------------------------------

Nayeon felt conscious of the jealous frown on her face, and she tried to lessen it. She could see that Mina was trying to help her relieve her bottled emotions, to repay herself for helping her forget about her pains, and Nayeon appreciated it.

Nayeon slowly lowered her head and, knowing that Mina wasn't the type to spill secrets, admitted, "Yea. I'm jealous."

She went on, "I'm jealous of Jeongyeon for having her love. She was best friend for ten years, since we were just kids in Suwon. (Mina looked stunned at her classmates' long history.) That's why I treated her as my equal, as my other half. 

I've been studying in this school for a year already, and just like you, I've got my eyes on Jimin since day one. It's really frustrating, and I think you know it too, that I couldn't get his attention for the entire year, but Jimin fell for Jeongyeon at first sight. 

Jeongyeon and I are of the same age and we're practically raised together. Why can't we be on even footing? Why can she experience love when I can't? Why can't we be equals?"

As she blurted out the emotions she had been hiding, Nayeon couldn't stop her tears from leaking.

--------------------------------

Mina sat closer to Nayeon and held her stone-cold hand in hers, while her brain was desperately thinking how to solve her new friend's heart conflicts, 

"Jeongyeon is your equal. Indeed, she may have found love earlier than you did, but you have skills that Jeongyeon doesn't. Jeongyeon's only friends are Jimin and you, but you have a lot more than she does."

Nayeon blubbered, "B-but I don't care about friendship. Love is the only goal I have."

Mina tried to hide her exasperated sigh! "Nayeon unnie, love isn't a competition.  I'm sure that sometime un your life, you will meet your true love." Nayeon lifted her head and dried her tears on her sleeve, while smiling at Mina softly, "Thank you, I believe you."

Even though Nayeon's heart didn't really believe what Mina had just said, she was thankful that there was someone who could understand her complicated struggles for love.

------------------------------------------

That was how their friendship started blooming. A pair with contrasting personalities had found comfort in each other, and trusted each other more than anything.

Nayeon tried to hide the sinking feeling in her stomach as she forced a smile and signalled a thumbs-up sign to Jimin.