Chapter 13

Picture of Chilota above ☝️☝️

Tunmise

"So, how was your trip?." I ask my boyfriend as I cut his toe nails gently.

He was away for about two weeks on a business trip. He was meant to come back tomorrow evening but got back this morning saying the business got finished early.

"Fantastic, although I missed you so much."

"Wow, you can't stay two weeks without me?." I joke.

"I can't." He says plainly.

His honest answer makes my heart skips a beat.

"What were you up to while I was away?." He saves me the stress of having to think of an answer.

"Nothing much, just went out with some friends."

His mouth opens and I know he's about to ask who so I beat him to it. "Friends that are not Kamsi or Niyi so you don't know them."

His mouth closes.

We are both silent for a while before he speaks up.

"I've never really heard you talk about your dad or your mum since we started dating. I know your mum is alive but what about your dad?. Is he dead or something?."

I can't help it, I burst out laughing, is he kidding me right now?.

"You think my dad is dead?." I ask. I don't wait for him to give a reply before continuing talking, "He's not, there's just really nothing to say about him."

"You guys are not on good terms?."

"We are, I can never not be on good terms with my dad."

"And your mum?."

"My mum is a different case, we are not on good terms."

"Why?."

"You remember Tunji?, my ex that cheated on me, she wants me to keep dating him."

"What?." His jaw drops open, "Really?."

"Yeah." I nod, "I think it's because my parents are close friends of Tunji's parents, maybe she wants to keep the friendship going or something and she believes Tunji is a good man, that what happened was just a little mistake and he won't do it again but she doesn't get that once a cheat is forever a cheat, I can't get the image out of my head."

"But you've told her no, right?."

"Obviously."

"Does she know you're with someone now?, Cause if she did, I doubt she would be forcing you to get back with Tunji."

"She doesn't and I want to leave it that way. You don't know my mother, even if she did, she'll still make me date him."

"Have you seen him since that time?."

"Who?, Tunji?."

"Yeah."

"I haven't, I've made sure of it, but he used to call me excessively that time, but I later blocked him."

"Did you love him?."

"Love is a strong word considering the fact we were only together for a month,  but I really liked him, I thought he was the one. Proved me wrong."

He opens his mouth to say something but is stopped by my ringtone echoing through the living room, I pick up my phone from the center table and stare at the caller ID.

"It's my sister, I have to take it." I inform him.

He nods in understanding as I stand up and walk into the kitchen, I press the receive button.

"Hey sis, have you seen mum's message?."

"What message?." I ask in confusion.

"On WhatsApp."

"I've not been online for a while."

"Well, check." She pushes.

I put on my mobile data watching as streams of messages comes in. I search for my mum's name and yes, I said search because I haven't spoken to mum in a while especially not through WhatsApp.

I have an unread message from her which was sent yesterday, I open the message, it reads:

I want you and your sister home by tomorrow evening, we have a family dinner on Saturday evening, it's the weekend so no excuses.

"I've seen it."

"Are you going?."

"We have to, Semilore, she sounds serious."

"Mum has to stop ordering us about naw, are we kids?."

"Well, we can't disobey mum, no matter what we feel, she's still our mother." I tell her even though I'm guilty as charged.

"Are you coming with Lota?, I can't wait to meet him in person."

"Of course not, I'm not ready for mum to meet him yet."

"Why not?."

"You know how your mum can get, besides, she's still making a fuzz about Tunji."

"Abeg, don't call that man's name around me, I'm already disgusted."

I let out a small laugh.

"Where are you?." She asks.

"Lota's house."

"Ah, shebi you know it's late, how can you start going back home at this time?."

"I'm not, I'm sleeping over."

"Ahannnn, Sister mi (My sister)."

"What?." I laugh again.

"Umm, I'll just keep quiet o."

"How long have you two been together sef?."

"About five months." I say.

"And you were friends for how long?."

"Three months."

"Wow...have you guys...?" She trails off.

"Have we what?."

"Ahan, do I have to complete the sentence?, You should get naw."

I resist the urge to burst out laughing. "You're too young to be asking me this kind of question."

"Too young?, I'm twenty."

"Doesn't matter."

I can literally feel her rolling her eyes from the other end.

"I'll see you tomorrow then, my only consolation is that dad is at home, he always takes our sides against mum."

"Yeah, I'm happy for that too."

"Okay then, bye sis, love you, tell Lota I said hi."

"Sure thing, love you too."

I wait till I can't hear anything again from the other end meaning she hung up. I wait for some time in the kitchen.

How was I going to face my mum tomorrow after so much time?.

•••••
Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

Till next time!