Chapter 20

Picture of Jessica above ☝️☝️

Tunmise

"That shirt looks so much better on you than it does on me." Lota says from behind me, making his presence known.

I turn around, a smile on my face, he's leaning on the door, his arms crossed.

"Morning." I chirp. I was oddly excited this morning for an unknown reason.

"Morning, babe. What are you making?."

"Spaghetti. You'll eat right?."

"Of course."

I go on with what I was doing before he came, although I'm aware of his eyes watching my every move.

"Are you okay?." He asks suddenly.

"Yeah, why won't I be?." I reply, my back still turned to him.

"Yesterday night, you seemed oddly quiet and you didn't eat much."

So he noticed.

"Well, I suddenly wasn't hungry anymore and didn't feel like talking." I lie.

I'm suddenly turned around by the waist, Lota is directly in front of me, his grip on my waist is firm so I'm unable to move. He's way taller than me so I have to crane my head to look at him. He's looking down at me like he's trying to figure out something.

"I don't like it when you lie to me." He says with all seriousness.

"I'm not lying." I manage to say looking anywhere but at him.

"Something was bothering you. You were totally fine before Jess came, or you didn't like her?."

I sigh before gently pushing him away. I turn my attention back to the Spaghetti I'm making.

"I like her, it's just..." I trail off.

"It's just what?." He urges.

"You both were just talking all night. I felt left out, I didn't even understand what you guys were talking about. I felt like a third wheel." I say and I'm so sure I sound like a whiny girlfriend.

"Why didn't you say anything?."

"In front of her?." I turn to face him, "You wouldn't have liked that."

"So you went hungry because of that?."

"I just lost my appetite." I return my attention to the carrots I'm cutting.

He removes the knife I'm holding, dropping it on the counter before taking my hands in his.

"I'm sorry I made you feel that way. I was just so excited to see her and catch up that I just kept talking to her without bothering to include you in the conversation."

"It's fine. I'm not upset." I place a small kiss on his cheek.

"What are your plans for today?." He asks.

"No plans, why?."

"I want to spend some time with you alone. Just the two of us."

"At home?."

"Nah, we're going out for dinner. I saw this dress yesterday on my way from work and I immediately thought of you. I bought it."

"You didn't come back with any shopping bag yesterday." I remind him.

"It's in the car."

"Oh, thanks." I press my lips to his. I wrap my arms around his neck pulling him down and leaning into the kiss. His hands run down my body before stopping beneath my thighs. He lifts me up gently placing me on the kitchen island. His mouth moves with mine in sync. His hand slips under my shirt grazing the skin of my bare back.

His mouth leaves mine as he kisses my neck, trailing kisses down my collarbone. He kisses under my ear making me shiver. His hand move to the waistband of my shorts. Just then, my phone rings earning a groan from him as I pull away laughing.

We both look at the caller ID. It's Niyi.

"Ignore it." He says quickly as he makes to start kissing me again. I place my hands on his chest stopping him.

"I can't, it might be important."

"You can always call him back."

"I'll be quick, okay?, Please." I grab my phone hopping off the counter. I give him a quick kiss on the cheek before walking out of the kitchen.

I answer the call pressing the phone to my ear.

"Why are you up so early?. I didn't expect you to pick up."

I roll my eyes. So he didn't expect me to pick up, yet he called. It's not even that early, it's just 8.

"I was hungry. I didn't eat much last night."

"Why?."

"Long story. I'll tell you later."

"Okay. How is my favourite best friend doing?."

"I'm your only best friend."

"Yes, that's why you're my favourite."

"I'm fine. Why are you such in a good mood?."

"I don't understand. You want me to be in a bad mood?."

"I didn't say that. I just meant you're not a morning person."

"Are you at Lota's?."

"Yeah, why?."

"Mum called to ask if you were staying with me."

"You need to be more specific."

"Your mum."

"When?. Why?. How?."

"I'll answer your questions in order. She called the day before yesterday but I didn't get a chance to tell you. Then she called because apparently she went to your house-"

"Why?. It's not even up to two weeks since the dinner."

"I don't know why she came to visit. The point is when she came to visit, Musa told her that you've not spent the night at home for some time now then she called me, and for how she called, I believe she used a phone."

I roll my eyes. All these stupid workers that can't keep their mouths shut.

"When she called you, what did she say?."

"She asked if you were staying with me, I've told you that before."

"And your reply was?."

"I didn't say yes cause I know if I did, she'll want to come over so I told her you weren't that maybe you were staying with your sister."

"Well, I don't think she called Semilore or anything cause if she did, Semilore would have called to warn me."

"Yeah, I'm just telling you so if she calls you'll know what to do."

"Thanks, I have to go. Talk later?."

"Sure." He hangs up.

I enter into the kitchen returning my phone on the counter. Lota has his back to me as he cuts the carrots I was cutting. I wrap my arms around his torso resting my head on his back as I sigh contently.

"Done with the phone call?."

"Yes." I reply although I don't miss the slight edge to his tone.

He removes my hand from his body turning around to face me.

"I just want some time with you, Tunmise, is that too much to ask for?." Is all he says before he leaves the kitchen. I then hear the front door shut loudly. I'm left standing in the kitchen confused.

What exactly did I do wrong?.

•••••
Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts below❤️

Till next time!