Chapter 19

Picture of Jessica above ☝️☝️

Tunmise

I join Lota on the bed and make to wrap my arms around his torso but he stops me gently pushing me onto the bed.

"I'm sorry, babe, but I need to finish this up tonight." He roughly kisses my cheek before turning his attention back to his laptop which he has been typing on for the past two hours.

"Oh." Is all I say.

I rest my head on the pillow covering myself with the duvet. I don't know for how long I stay awake but I'm about to drift off into the world of sleep when he wraps his arm around my waist pulling me into him. My back is now in contact with his bare chest. He doesn't like sleeping with a shirt on.

He gently places soft kisses on my neck down to my shoulder making me hot. I almost remove the duvet from my body.

"Don't tell me you're mad at me." He says while kissing my neck, his voice low.

"I'm-I'm not." I manage to say. He's making it hard for me to think when he's peppering my neck with kisses like this.

"You sure?, It's just that the deadline for that proposal is tomorrow morning and I had to finish it tonight."

I turn around to face him so that our foreheads are almost touching. "I said I'm not mad, I understand."

I'm really not mad. I just wanted his attention and I understand that he was busy. It's work, why would I be mad?.

He presses his lips to mine gently, we kiss for a while before I pull away.

"It's late, we should go to bed." I say.

"And you're sure you're okay?." He asks concern evident in his voice. His lips are swollen from my kisses and I'm sure mine is too.

I wasn't just in the mood tonight. I feel tired and weak and all I want to do is cuddle and sleep.

"I'm fine. Just tired, that's all."

"Come here." He places his arm around my shoulders and pulls me to him so he's lying down and my head is now on his chest. He draws circles on my exposed arm.

"You said you wanted to tell me something?." I remind him.

"Yeah, I did."

I trace heart signs on his exposed chest and I can feel him stiffen under me.

"So, what is it?."

"You know Jessica?."

"Not really, I just know she's someone special to you."

"She is." He says and when I look up at him, he's smiling.

"So, is she like your cousin or something?."

"No, Jess is my friend, we've been friends since our teenage years." He informs me, "We were in the states together before I decided to come back to Nigeria but she wanted to stay for a little while more. She's finally coming back to Nigeria on Monday and she said she'll come visit on Wednesday, do you think you can cook something nice for her?."

"Like what?."

"Anything, maybe fried rice, she loves that."

"Okay, it's no problem."

"Thanks babe." He kisses my head, "I owe you one."

I drift off to sleep thinking about Jessica.

___________

"Ahan, why are you naw looking so fine like this?. It's just lunch o." Lota teases spinning me around a little when I reach the end of the stairs. I giggle looking down at my dressing.

A simple black gown that stops just above my knees and flip-flops. I had taken my time to do my edges neatly and I used a little mascara and lipgloss.

"Is she here yet?." I ask him.

"Not yet, she texted me on my way home, she's almost here."

"I hope she doesn't get lost, she's never been here before, or has she?."

"She hasn't. She's using her GPS."

"Okay then."

"I need to freshen up before she comes. I'll be right back. And thanks for cooking, the food smells delicious." He places a kiss on my cheek.

"You opened it?." My eyes widen a smile on my face.

"I couldn't resist, I had to."

I laugh shaking my head as he goes upstairs. I sit on the sofa scrolling through Instagram. It's not long before Lota comes back downstairs in new clothes, sweatpants and a tank top. Asif on cue, the doorbell rings.

Lota goes over to open the door without a word. When Jessica walks in, my jaw drops.

She's beautiful.

Like really really beautiful.

She's wearing a pencil black skirt that stops on her knees with a white shirt decorated with black polka dots neatly tucked into the skirt. On her feet are black pencil heels, her light skin is literally glowing, her natural hair is pulled back in a neat ponytail. Her nails are long and are a bright red.

She looks...mixed?.

Yeah, she's clearly a half-caste.

Why didn't Lota tell me?.

She pulls Lota in for a hug, a smile gracing her already beautiful face.

"Hey you. You didn't even think to pick me up." She jokes hitting his arm playfully.

"You told me you'd be fine getting here on your own."

"Well, you could have insisted on picking me...Just nine months since you came to Nigeria and you're already looking different." Her voice is so sweet, and she even has an accent, she's definitely lived abroad for a long time.

He raises an eyebrow. "Different in a good or bad way?."

"Good, definitely in a good way."

"You don't look so bad yourself. Being in the states really did you well."

"I know right. I'm already regretting, the sun in this place?, Scorching." She finishes.

He chuckles. "You'll get used to it, trust me."

I'm left standing like a third wheel until Jessica looks over Lota's left shoulder and her eyes land on me.

"Who do we have here?. Tunmise right?." She smiles

I nod.

"Dom hasn't stopped talking about you, I couldn't wait to meet the woman who has captured his heart and My God, you're gorgeous." She surprises me by pulling me into a hug.

Dominic is Lota's English name. He told me that was what he was called back when he stayed abroad.

"Thank you. You're gorgeous too." I say and I really mean it.

"Thanks." She smiles.

My heart warms as I picture Lota's face when telling her about me.

He wraps his hand around my waist as we all go to the dining room.

We say the grace as we all begin to eat.

"You made this?." She asks.

"Yes."

"It's so good, you have to teach me how to make this someday."

I resist the urge to ask if she can cook because with the way she's sounding, I really don't think so.

She and Lota go on to talk about different things laughing at jokes only them can understand. I'm utterly lost and confused because I know nothing of what they are talking about.

I pick at my food throughout dinner.

••••••
Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

Till next time!