Chapter 22

Tunmise

"Here." Semilore hands me a cup of hot tea. I thank her, welcoming the burning sensation in my throat as I take a sip.

I had practically begged Niyi to drop me off here this morning. He was adamant and wanted to know what happened last night but I couldn't tell him. I mean, what was I supposed to say?, That my boyfriend thought I was cheating on him with him and called me a prostitute?. No, thanks.

"You still haven't told me exactly what happened." Semilore brings my attention back to her.

"Can't I just have some peace?. Don't you have something to do?."

"No, you can't, you came to my house this morning, I didn't invite you, you can't just stay here without telling me what's wrong with you. Besides, Niyi said I shouldn't let you out of my sight, he said you aren't in the right state of mind."

"I'm perfectly fine." I groan.

"Then tell me what is wrong?. Niyi said he found you by the roadside crying yesterday night. Why?."

"Long story, okay?."

"I'm listening." She says with an expectant look on her face. I roll my eyes placing the cup of tea on the table.

I then go on to recount what happened between me and Lota to her, she carefully listens without interrupting, when I'm done speaking, she speaks up.

"I can't believe Lota would do that."

"You haven't even met him, how do you know what he's like?."

"You've told me a lot about him. He seems like a really nice guy. Besides, I've seen his pictures before."

"Well, believe it or not."

"So, are you two still together?."

"I don't know, I never told him we were over."

"Do you still want to be with him?."

"Honestly, I don't know, I'm just so hurt."

"But he's hurt too."

"What do you mean?."

"He's hurt that you've not been giving him enough attention, that was the real reason he reacted like that last night. That's the bone of contention here."

"That's so not true, I'm always with Lota like seventy percent of the day, we practically even live together."

"Doesn't matter."

"So, you're supporting him?."

"I'm not, I'm just trying to make you see things from his perspective here. You're just angry because he called you a prostitute which I'm sure he didn't mean."

"It doesn't matter. He knows I've never slept with anyone before. How dare he call me a prostitute?." I'm full on yelling now.

"Calm down. I wasn't the one who got you angry. I'm just trying to fix things here."

"Well, if he had just spoken to me about it, I could have fixed it. That's what normal people do in a relationship. They talk."

"Has he tried contacting you?."

"My phone broke, the only way he can contact me is by calling Niyi, the guy who he thinks I'm cheating on him with."

"But he really loves you, you know."

"And you're so sure of that how?."

"You told me yourself that he introduced you to his parents."

"So?."

"A guy doesn't just take a woman to meet his parents unless he's head over heels for her."

"Doesn't matter, he insulted me."

"Maybe he would have felt a bit more okay if you had introduced him to mum and dad."

"Why are you talking like this?. You know I can't introduce him to them. At least, not now"

"Why not?."

I remember when I was still in the University, I brought a guy I was seeing home for dinner and mum was totally fine with it. It was just me and her cause Semilore was still in Secondary School then and her school had this trip while Dad had to go on an impromptu trip. The guy's name was Derrick so mum had easily assumed that he was Yoruba until she asked him what state he was from and he said Imo state.

She chased him out of the house with a knife that night and warned me never to have anything to do with any Igbo man, but here I was, years later, doing the exact thing she warned me about.

"Mum's going to freak."

"Let mum freak, shebi she's the one that has been disturbing you for a husband. Now, you're finally bringing a man home and she wants to complain."

I remain silent.

"Let's just leave mum's issue first. I know I'm six years younger than you but there are times when you just need to listen to me. If you let Lota go because of this thing that happened?, you're going to regret it, I'm telling you."

"So what am I supposed to do?, Go to his house?."

"Isn't it obvious?."

"I don't know Semi, I think I need some time alone to myself. Even if it's just some weeks. Please."

"Fine." She sighs, "But after that, I'm personally pushing you to meet Lota. Have you told Niyi, by the way?."

"I couldn't." I admit, "How am I supposed to tell him that my boyfriend who is his boss is jealous of our relationship as friends and thinks I'm cheating on him."

"Well, you open your mouth and let the words come out, just the same way you've done with me."

I roll my eyes. Trust Semilore to turn a serious matter into a joke.

"I think I'll tell him later. Not just now."

"Good, you should. He's your best friend."

"Okay, enough with the advice. Incase you have forgotten, you're the baby sister here." I remind her.

She sticks out her tongue at me. "But I'm still the more mature one."

I open my mouth to reply but I'm stopped when I smell something.

"What are you making?." I ask her.

"Jollof rice. Why?."

"I think you've burnt the entire thing."

"What are you-" She stops talking when she smells it too. She runs to the kitchen muttering different things under her breath. I'm left laughing in the living room.

••••••
Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

Till next time!