Final Arc - Chapter 20: The Verge of Great Bouts

It was the morning of the next day, prior to the start of the quarter-finals, Ventus was back in his room with Emiko, Aeron and Angel having stayed with him. Aeron remained next to Ventus, laid on her front with a wing over his chest, Angel next to Emiko curled into a ball. Ventus though was entering the familiar place of his inner mind, beckoned forth by voices from inside "Hmmm...ahhh..." his eyes opened to the gentle smile of Anastasia, who had his head on her lap rubbing his head "Huh...?"

"Just helping you relax that's all" she said smiling "Though that might be a bit...hypocritical for me to say when I wanted to talk to you"

"What's wrong?" Anastasia helped him up only to gesture him to a semi-familiar figure stood on the milky water, Eurybia.

Eurybia was stood facing the world, in her entirety with her robed and body-suit clad torso but long bare sleek legs, her feet bare with her hair gently wafting as if from a gentle breeze. Eurybia turned to Ventus with mild embarrassment and shame "Greetings to Ventus...I ummm...wish to apologise first of all for the intrusion. I imagine my forced entry will have been unpleasant"

"How are you feeling...you okay?" he asked considerately

"I've been better but I have sufficient mana to sustain myself now" she then sighed "Also...thank you for allowing me entry here into your spirit, I'm grateful" she sighed again

"What's wrong?"

"Don't take this the wrong way but...as a greater spirit its my duty to safeguard my chosen mortals and guide them to victory. Fair to say the loss of the fight stings...and it's been a long time since I was last aided properly by a mortal. I am not angry at you...its my pride that has been dented"

"I think I understand...but I'm glad you're okay at least. It was a surprise when Argentia asked me to be your secondary contractor"

"Well...me and Argentia – in mortal words – are cousins and you bear a portion of Polaran DNA within your own being thanks to the tuner power you wield. So it was possible for my soul to be connected with yours. Been a secondary contractor means – if my power agrees with yours and my partner allows it – I can manifest a portion of my strength in you"

Eurybia looked pained "Ventus...I wish to ask, and forgive me for asking, what is the condition of Katsia? Since I am no longer bound to her soul, I cannot sense her condition" Ventus' expression fell

"She's...in no mortal danger and...she will recover eventually" he said sighing "But I'm unable to sense her spirit or energy. Either its so weak I can't feel it or...its not there"

"I wish I could clarify...but sadly there's not much I can say. During the last minute of our bound, I recall this smothering cold all around me. Not like Argentia's cold...like a sheer-cold uncomfortable presence that saps all the power out of you. The only time I've felt that is when a mortal foolishly attacked Argentia and cut her hair in two" Ventus gulped

"Yeah...that's one rule I've learnt from...memory. If a girl has long tied hair, chances are they prefer it that way"

"Well...put it this way, the world she was on entered a month long ice-age but...back on topic"

Eurybia looked very uncomfortable in posture "Kyoko was trying to seal my power away in one of her beasts, for I immediately felt my strength drained away. Though using the last of her strength..."

"Eurybia...I won't let you be taken. Help him...however you can"

"She then well...the best word...hmmm..."