Final Arc - Chapter 7: The Night of Reprieve

The battle between Ventus and Lunafreya had ended, and to no surprise Ventus had been defeated but fortunately he only came out exhausted as his injuries were been seen to.  Aeron had applied any healing power to the evident bruises on his body "There you go, all your condition is restored brother. Rest and recover is now recovered for you" 

"Well that was a rather blood-pumping battle" Lunafreya commented looking a bit itchy as she stretched "Its rare that anyone - minus present company and exceptions - can push me to that extent, let alone manage to strike a blow back to me. Your power was quite exceptional"

"I...can't seem to hold it long though" he said shaking his head "I'll have to try Gear 5 when I'm fresh and full of energy...but it seems to be an all-or-nothing power. I'm completely worn out"

"I do sense it's a power beyond your strength...at least for now. My suggestion is this: do you recall that form you took before you ascended? The simple flame like glow, make that your target of control"

"You refer to the form in which only his reflexes heightened?" asked Aeron

"Yes that form"

Lunafreya thought back "In that form, I felt his reaction speed was high but the strain it had on his body was low by the natural means he was moving.  It might be best to seek control of that form which I'll call Alpha Gear 5, Alpha 5 for short"

"Alpha...5...huh?" he said tiredly thinking about it

"We'll see if we can coerce it out in practise" said Zarla smiling "But what do you think Luna? Anything to add?"

"Since I know not much of his history, its not my place to comment" said Lunafreya "I do know his fighting style is young and adaptive...and I have to comment I was very pleased and refreshed by his fighting pride. The way he fought me...is unlike how most others fight me"

"I know that feeling" Zarla said smiling "I'd grown quite liking it honestly" she said rubbing his back "It's not often I'm requested to even go full power"

"Why did he have foolish notions he could best you Empress Zarla?" Asked Mythra coming forward "surely his pride was quite overinflated"

"No, I knew for a fact I couldn't beat Zarla Ventus said firmly "I merely wanted to see how far I could go against her power"

Mythra just looked rather dumbfounded "What...?" Ventus said confused "Is it wrong to want to view my teachers full power? I mean have you not wonder how strong Lunafreya is"

"It would be a pointless effort" said Korva "I mean how can one view the top of a mountain if one cannot scale it"

"That's not what I was asking, thank you" he said groaning "I fight Zarla for the sport of it, not for the challenge"

"You...fight the Empress for fun?" asked Haru raising her hand "How come?"

"That's...a more personal reason why. It's nothing super secretive but I get the feeling I'll be refuted by certain company"

"I'd like to hear it and...you call Empress by name?" Haru said noticing

"Have you no shame!?" Korva said a bit irritated "You should show the Empress the respect she deserves...and ours"

Ventus turned to Zarla, puzlled and tilting his head looking back "Zarla is my teacher and the Empress but...it doesn't change who she is you know"