Arc 4 - Chapter 25: The Semblance of Greater Powers

It was the late evening, the evening before the gathering of the remaining warriors. It was bed-time and Ventus with Leyla and Emiko were gathered around a bed. Leyla had her eyes closed, was humming almost electronically but soon came around and shook her head "It's...no good" she said "I can't access the schematics of the underground chambers. I can bypass the security but..."

"Yeah no unwanted attention from his highness" said Ventus "between all the aggravation he's had combined with the loss of a lot of his fighters AND self-pride...don't do it"

"So...you're trying to help this Sarala woman?" asked Emiko "Has she always being with you?"

"I met her way, way back when me and Leyla got blasted by that idiot with that detonating bomb device. Sorry I never brought her up till now...and sorry again but just keep it between you two" 

"We won't tell anyone big brother" said Leyla happily before looking anxious "Well Stage 4 is only a couple days away now"

"Expect the fighters...to be getting brutal from here" said Ventus trying to be firm, but the anxiousness in his own voice crept out "I'm...actually kinda hoping, cruelly, that the fighters taken out by the Cosmic storm were some of the strongers ones. I...shouldn't think of that but..."

"I know what you mean, but we'll know tomorrow" said Emiko "Well see you in the morning" 

As they went to sleep, Leyla spoke up a bit "Say...Big Brother, mind if I ask you something? No matter the results...we'll still be together, right?"

"Of course" he said nodding to her "We're family after all, we can't very well you know live on separated ends of the galaxy...just the opposite end of a bed"

"hehehehe...that's good...because I..." she added with worry with Ventus inching over to rub her head

"Let's worry about things when they happen alright, sis?" he said with a blush "Go on...get some sleep"

"Alright...thank you" and with this, both rested into the bed.

It was the next morning and Ventus with his friends had gathered in the grand meeting room they had convened in months before...but it was now evident over the lack of numbers now for what was a once filled room had dwindled. The once occupied floor was barely filled with the almost couple hundred fighters, the four balconies laid rather bare with only the Overseers present minus Zarla who had Ventus, Emiko and Leyla by her side. 

Ventus had looked to Saku, who stood alone, Lexi and Aries on the bottom with everyone else "so...he has left them out? Figures"

"Am I...really alright being up here?" asked Leyla a bit nervous

"You're alright" said Zarla smiling "that and you're technically not 'up' here are you?" with a hoverback from her back Leyla was hovering over the floor "You just happen to occupy the same air-space"

"You can really tell...kinda how many have fallen" said Ventus looking around at the people "It seems Veldolf made it, Shais is here...that's good"

"Won't that mean there's one more opponent to fight?" asked Emiko

"Whether I fight him or not...I'd rather any of us lose by...a fair fight. Hmmm...hmmm...it's hard to tell at a glance which one is stronger. I mean...this Tsukaima I keep hearing about, no idea"

"Look that tall Kyoko lady is there too" said Leyla pointing to which Kyoko did wave up to them with a smile "And those two look to be in the same group together"