xv. madness

THE TARNISHED FRIENDSHIPS OF CALEB MOORE AND THE MIS-TIMED SERENADE

↬•↫

in which everything begins to unravel and caleb moore finally breaks

madness | the spy

〖 i've seen that look in your eyes, makes me go blind - cut me deep, the secrets and the lies, storm in the quiet 〗

i've seen that look in your eyes, makes me go blind - cut me deep, the secrets and the lies, storm in the quiet

↬•↫

tw : mentions of child abuse, long ass chapter

↬•↫

THE HOSPITAL in Hawkins Lab had always been a place that he dreaded going to, but in the short time had been there that night it had made its way to the top of his list of things to drag to hell with him, right after Jim Hopper and whatever fuckhead thought it was a good idea to invent golden chocolate Oreos.

He sat in the stiff wooden chair he had dragged in from the waiting area and placed next to Mike, who was struggling to hold onto consciousness while the boy beside him tried his best to calm his racing thoughts, leg jostling up and now in an unsteady rhythm as he ran his hands through his hair and picked at his chapped lips and gripped his dogtags tight enough to leave pressure marks on his palm and did just about anything to chase his thoughts away.

Caleb had been sitting there trembling all over ever since the over-eager nurse finally released him from an unnecessary check-up in another part of the hospital ward. She had told him that he needed to be hosed down and given new clothes, and he had refused every order he was given and that was that.

Owens had been there, giving them a subtle shake of the head that clearly told the nurse she was fighting a losing battle.

He did agree to change his clothes, after being informed that he was bringing toxic chemicals from the tunnels into their atmosphere, but resolved to sanitising his hands and nothing else to keep the nurse happy.

She wasn't, but he didn't really care.

And now he sat at his friend's bedside, an anxious mess, the screams he had heard from him only an hour or so beforehand playing over and over again in his head like a broken record everytime he saw the sleeping boy's face.

He remembered watching the doctors have to sedate him, and feeling like he had fallen into a bad memory and spectated a scene of himself in a mental hospital having to be strapped down to the gurney with thick leather restraints.

Will couldn't be like him, he couldn't.

Caleb jumped to his feet and muttered a half-assed excuse about going to the bathroom to a startled Mike, but deftly avoided the one attached to Will's room and instead left the room altogether, turning into the fluorescent-lit hallway outside and wincing at the sudden change in brightness.