ii. jealousy

THE INCONCEIVABLE ART OF UNDERSTANDING WOMEN THROUGH A MENTALLY ILL BOY'S EYES

↬•↫

in which caleb moore forms an unlikely bond with the strange bald girl in his friend's basement and mike wheeler doesn't like it one bit

jealousy | holly, jolly

〖 gotta hold of my possessive mind, turned me into the jealous guy 〗

gotta hold of my possessive mind, turned me into the jealous guy

↬•↫

MIKE AWOKE the next morning to the sound of two murmuring voices, one of which he recognised as Caleb's and the other as someone that Caleb had no business conversing with. Like, at all.

He frowned and sat upright slowly, squinting through bleary eyes at the pair huddled together in the fort and watching as Caleb moved his mouth quietly, pointing to the white patch of skin on his arm and muttering something before gesturing to the girl's own wrist, his shoulders slumping in relief when the girl finally started to nod along to his words, realisation lighting up her doe brown eyes.

Then Eleven whispered something, something that looked a lot like 'brother?', and then Caleb was pulling her into the tightest hug he could manage and Eleven was burying her head in the crook of his neck. His sweater. He'd changed into some spare clothes he had left here the last time he stayed over, so he had obviously been awake for a while.

"Um... what's going on?" Mike asked warily, standing to his feet on shaky legs as Eleven lifted her head from Caleb's shoulder at the sound of his voice.

The taller boy spun around, wiping at his cheeks hastily. "Oh, hey, Mike. I was just - I was getting to know the new recruit." Caleb chuckled weakly, giving him a bright smile. "She's pretty fuckin' cool."

"Yeah, I guess. Are you... crying-"

"I'm happy, okay? Fuck off." Caleb rolled his eyes, wiping away the last of his tears with his sleeve.

Eleven frowned, prodding at his wettened cheek in confusion. "Happy sad?"

"Uh, yeah. Happy sad." Caleb chirped, batting her hand away playfully when she went to prod him again.

Mike frowned again. Caleb was being weird - too happy, as horrible as that sounded. But happy just didn't look natural on Caleb Moore.

Most of the time when he was happy it was almost as if he was trying too hard to be, like he was forcing himself to keep the smile on his face even though it wavered when he thought nobody was looking. But Mike always was. "Hey, Cay, meds before breakfast." He said curtly, jaw ticking in challenge.