intermission | one

one | the good part

↬•↫

can we skip to the good part?

↬•↫

JACOB IVES woke, as he often did, to the sound of the pounding in his own chest that often followed his nightmares, breathing heavily with his back against the headboard of the double bed in the Byers' guest room.

His brother was already sat up, arms shining with sweat despite the Californian winter chill, the three lines of inked roman numerals on his bicep illuminated by the moonlight slipping in through the window.

Jacob leaned against him as Jordan reached up a hand to brush his damp fringe from his eyes, voice thick with sleep and eyes screwed up in annoyance at the harsh ringing in his ear.

"You're alright, bub. It's okay - pretty bad one tonight?"

"Not the worst." He sighed, head dropping onto the older boy's shoulder, making sure to speak clear enough so he could be heard over the consequence of his brother's damaged eardrum, "What about you?"

"Dad again."

Jacob nodded, eyes already dropping closed, "Me too."

"You miss him yet?" Jordan teased, drawing him under his arm and pulling the covers over them again.

The corners of his mouth twitched up in lethargic amusement, the lie falling from his lips just as easily as it had for the past few months, "Not even a little."

"Yeah, me neither."

Jacob huffed, peeling his eye open to look up at him incredulously but faltering at the sound of a gentle knock, the pair turning to face the open doorway of their room.

El stood in the threshold illuminated by the golden streetlights outside, one of her brother's old sweaters falling around her shoulders and a pair of Jonathan's flannel pajama pants tied at the waist to keep them from falling, arms crossed over her chest and amber eyes crusted with sleep.

"I had one too."

Jordan sighed, lifting up the corner of the comforter as their brother scooted aside with a fond smile. El darted across the room, slipping into the space between them and curling into her twin's side easily, bringing her arm up to his chest to link their hands there and toying with the boy's (only recently polished but already chipped) nails as she waited for sleep to overcome her again.