i. still beating

THE RETURN OF THE MAPLE STREET PSYCHO, PT II

↬•↫

in which jacob ives returns to hawkins to find the life he knew in ruins once again

still beating | pre-the hellfire club

〖 honey, i cried too - better believe it

honey, i cried too - better believe it. honey, my heart still beats for you, even though you don't feel it

↬•↫

FIRSTLY, NO - Jacob Ives was not an insensitive dickhead.

The fact that he had been home for over a week now and had yet to tell any of his friends was merely because-

Well, he didn't really know.

He contemplated it as he sat on the windowsill of his room in the cabin, his eyes unfocused and a little glossy as the smoke in his lungs chased all the monsters away and left his head feeling a lot clearer than it had been when he woke from his fourth nightmare in the past five days.

It didn't take long after he returned home for him to obtain the unhealthy habit of stealing a paltry amount of pot from Jordan's bedside table as the young man slept - it wasn't something he wanted to do, and it definitely was not a hobby he wanted to keep, but it was the only thing that made the screaming stop anymore.

He guessed he had Fateh to thank for that - they only met up whenever the orderly who's name kept escaping his memory convinced the doctors to let Jacob visit the day ward, to be with some people closer to his age, but it was enough times for Jacob to learn how to roll properly after some much-needed bullying from Fateh himself.

Jacob didn't know how Fateh got anything past the doctors and guards or why he was allowed extra outdoor time every now and then, but he had decided not to ask questions in fear of the answers.

He knew what Joel had done to get certain luxuries back in California.

Fateh was only three years older than him, he didn't want to think about what he had to do.

Or maybe it was just because he wasn't as high-profile a case as Jacob.

The doctors were much more interested in Jacob than the other patients.

Well, almost all the other patients.

He had lost track of whatever it was he was supposed to be thinking of and decided to veer off until he found something else, which brought him to looking around his room and spotting the worn messenger bag hung over the bedpost next to him.