i. comfortably numb

THE RETURN OF THE MAPLE STREET PYSCHO

↬•↫

in which caleb moore returns to hawkins to find the life he knew in ruins and a strange bald girl hiding in his friend's basement

comfortably numb | the weirdo on maple street

can you show me where it hurts?

↬•↫

FIRSTLY, NO - Caleb Moore was not an insensitive dickhead.

He just had trouble understanding his own emotions and even more trouble understanding everyone else's - it was a simple fact but it came with consequences.

Like not reacting to the news of your best friend of five years going missing - like, at all.

No harsh blinks, no disbelieving expression, no tears of remorse, no panic, no worry, no questions, no nothing. Just a blank stare and a nod of the head to show that he had heard what his mother told him as soon as he stepped in the door.

Secondly, yes - the fact that Caleb showed no emotion towards the disappearance of his best friend did worry his parents. But apparently not enough, because they left for his father's business conference in Denver a few hours after Caleb returned home from Bravenpoint - the name of his most recent institution.

That name would send shivers down his spine for the rest of his young years.

And finally, no - just because Will's disappearance had without a doubt unsettled Caleb's usual way of life, even if he hadn't registered that fact yet, it did not mean that he was going to break the tradition of going to the Wheeler's for dinner when he returned from one of his many mental salvation trips.

But it did mean that everything was about to change for Caleb Moore, whether he was mentally stable enough to handle it or not.

"Caleb! Look at you - you're so tall!" Karen Wheeler beckoned the young boy inside with a warm smile when he finally arrived at their painfully typical suburban house - discoloured brick walls, stuffed flower pots lining all of the windowsills, a wide-stretched backyard for their children to frolick about in, but he found comfort in the simplicity of their home. She pulled the boy into a quick hug that he didn't respond to, yelling out to the boys that their friend had arrived before turning back to him, her smile only brightening. "How long has it been - a month, two?"