xix. home

THE AFTERMATH

↬•↫

in which jacob ives is refusing to heal, jordan hopper is struggling to step into their father's shoes,

and mike wheeler is making an ass of himself

home | the battle of starcourt

〖 keep the nightmares out, give me mouth to mouth 〗

keep the nightmares out, give me mouth to mouth

↬•↫

Three Months Later

↬•↫

tw : mention of sa, HIV

↬•↫

JACOB SPENT the next few months getting used to the inexplicable feeling of not feeling. It was harder to adjust to than he originally thought - he had spent a lot of his life feeling numb or forcing himself to be, and he was no stranger to emptiness.

But this was different.

It was like every bit of emotion within him had been gouged from the insides of his skin, flushed out of him by an invisible force.

He felt absolutely nothing.

Even when he was angry, or irritated, or upset or when he was very rarely happy, he didn't actually feel these things, his body just reacted to them. He would cry, or laugh, or scowl, or sigh, but there would be no emotion attached to it, like his brain was making him react without telling him why that reaction was happening.

Hollow, was the word for it.

The voices still made an occasional appearance, but only in nightmares.

He had been bare of them for weeks after what happened, his mind as empty as his body. And then, ever since last month, there were these... images, little flashes of things that he felt he should remember but didn't, or things that he didn't want to.

It would usually be vivid pictures of what exactly had happened when the Gate closed, of the static ringing through the air and the roar of a machine in his ears. And he would look up to meet Joyce's eyes, so full of despair, and he would realise what moment he was living through and he would force himself to wake.

Other times, it was like he was dreaming for someone else.

He had thought they were his sister's dreams at first - their empathic link had remained strong even after the loss of their powers, except for the fact that they could no longer communicate through it - but every time he asked her about them she looked at him in confusion and immediately asked if he had taken his medication that morning.