ii. superstition

THE ENHANCED PERSONALITY TRAITS OF A JUNE CANCER

↬•↫

in which jacob ives finds some new friends, some frightening hallucinations leave him on edge, and mike wheeler starts to regret being sensible

superstition | pre-the hellfire club

〖 very superstitious, nothin' more to say - very superstitious, devil's on his way 〗

very superstitious, nothin' more to say - very superstitious, devil's on his way

↬•↫

tw : accidental trans outing, stressful moment but nothing negative comes of it

↬•↫

LEILA HASSAN had a bedroom to match her entire being as a person.

It was mismatched and hectic and colourful, a violet-walled room decorated with a mix of light pink fabrics and white furniture and strings of multi-coloured fairy lights that had been wrapped messily around her plush curtains, random posters of movie stars and adorable puppies slapped on her walls that had been doodled all over at some point, the edges of them noticeably picked at and savaged.

"I glued them on when I was ten," She had said, lip curling in distate, "can't take them down without cutting chunks off my wall, now."

She also had a collection of fantasy novels and classics tucked under her nightstand, which was home to a lamp with a flower-covered shade and a bunch of half-empty water bottles as well as the book she was currently reading, The Dark Is Rising.

And then you had the purple and pink glittery square foam letters stuck to her door that spelled out her name, the 'I' beginning to peel off slightly.

Jacob reached out to flatten it back onto the wood as best he could.

"It's my aunt's name, too." Leila informed him, an odd look on her face, "I don't get to see her much anymore, though. My nani says she doesn't want someone with her 'lifestyle' around me - I don't know if she means the dancing or what, but my mom said to just ignore her. I only really see her at holidays, and my grandparents just glare at her the whole time."

Jacob considered this, the memory of a cursive tattoo and a soft Jersey accent causing him to pause.

It was obviously just a coincidence - but it was an amusing thought.

But again, obviously a coincidence.

Jacob and Mindy were lazing about on Leila's bed discussing her family's plan to go to Florida for spring break while they waited for the pizza they had all split the payment for to arrive, Nico sat in the plastic jewel-studded office chair in front of the desk reading Leila's copy of Lord of the Flies and Eris and Leila jumping around singing loudly to Love is a Battlefield, which was blaring from the stereo behind Nico's head.